This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Finding time to stay healthy and go to the gym while being a full-time student can be stressful. Although being able to fit in a quick run or a group fitness class is beneficial for alleviating stress and keeping us in tune with our bodies, sometimes it’s hard to find the motivation. Or for some girls, gym-intimidation poses a real mental block. As someone who has only recently started using the weight room open at Eppley, I understand the comfort of the cardio machines. So how can girls challenge themselves to stay healthy while exploring new and fun ways to workout? That’s the question the girls of CHAARG have been working hard to answer. 

Photo by Nathan Coweley on Pexels

CHAARG stands for Changing Health Attitudes and Actions to Recreate Girls. Though the nationwide group has been up and running (quite literally) for several years now, UMD’s chapter was first established in the spring of 2014 and has since grown to over 238 members. CHAARG encourages girls to step out of their comfort zones and explore types of workouts that they may be too uncomfortable to try out on their own. 

Photo from Instagram @umd_inchaarg

So what sort of workouts can you experience in CHAARG? Anything and everything! The UMD chapter has held events including weightlifting, rock-climbing, ROTC led-classes and even a heels class. The girls are allowed to try a variety of workouts by doing a group workout every week led by a different studio from the area. Along with these weekly group workouts, there are also small group workouts led by one of the CHAARG members. 

I reached out to some of UMD CHAARG chapter board members who expressed their love of CHAARG and how it impacted them physically, mentally and socially. Alex Wood, the ambassador; Kiernan Furness, the treasurer; and Emma Newell and Jeanette Mosers, the event coordinators; are part of the executive board for UMD’s chapter. Their shared perspective on CHAARG: “CHAARG is life! CHAARG means so much to [us]- health, community, family. [We] truly believe CHAARG has changed [our lives] for the better in every way, and can’t imagine what [our] college experience would be without it.” 

Photo on Instagram @umd_inchaarg

CHAARG promotes a strong sense of community with the girls. Mentally, it promotes self-love and emotional well-being. “ I think a lot of girls would really benefit from it and would seek out a chapter at their own school if they knew more about what being a member entailed,” Furness said.. Not only does CHAARG lead fun workouts, they also host bonding events like pumpkin painting and ice-skating outings, as well as tailgates and socials. “CHAARG is a great way to get involved on campus and to take health into your own hands,” Furness shared, “Whether you’re looking for stress-relieving activities, a more consistent workout routine or to meet girls who are like-minded to you– Chaarg has it all.” If you are looking to find out more about joining a chapter of CHAARG, you can find more information on their national website: http://www.chaarg.com/ .

Hi! My name is Gabriella and I'm a junior at the University of Maryland majoring in English and Literature with a minor in Rhetoric and Creative Writing. I'm currently the prose editor for my school's literary journal, The Stylus, and currently interning for the Smith School of Business as a Technical Writer. When I'm not binging the latest netflix specials, I'm nose deep in a book trying to find a witty caption for my Bookstagram page or getting into antics with friends. I'm an avid tea drinker, have horrible taste in music and love all things creative!