books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash
Wellness

A Survival Guide to Midterm Madness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Whether you’re preparing for one midterm or five, this point in the semester always seems to be one of the worst. Midterm madness is real, causing almost everyone to become beyond stressed. Below are 10 helpful tips for surviving midterm madness.

1. Find an enjoyable study spot

Location is everything. The environment around you affects you mentally and physically, ultimately changing your study habits. Particular places on campus may be more distracting for you than others. A few great spots on the University of Maryland campus are McKeldin Library, the Michelle Smith Performing Arts Library inside of The Clarice, the back patio of the Clarice, Edward St. John Learning and Teaching Center, the Student Involvement Suite in STAMP, and Hornbake Plaza.

2. Color-code your notes

Color-coding can help you to visualize your notes and helps to focus your attention on the topics you’ll need to remember most. Using a variety of colored highlighters or pens can help to point you in the right direction – as long as you aren’t making your notes too colorful. Notes with many different colors on them tend to be distracting for your eyes and cause you to lose information. 

3. Make a study schedule – Calendars are key 

Using apps and websites such as Google Calendar can make studying for midterms much easier. You can even color-code your calendar to match your notes. It’s important to schedule self-care time into your calendar too. Calendars help to prevent cramming the night before an exam.

Photo by Estée Janssens on Unsplash

4. Take brain breaks 

Over studying does exist! Taking a few brain breaks here, and there will help increase your ability to retain knowledge. Studies included in the novel, “Make It Stick,” by Peter C. Brown, Henry L. Roediger, and Mark A. McDaniel, shows that studying in small amounts over a longer period of time will give you a higher chance of passing compared to staying up all night the night before. 

5. Use multiple methods of studying 

Quizlet, flashcards, rewriting notes, quizzing yourself with friends, and watching review videos on the topic are all great methods of studying.

6. Create a playlist 

Making a study playlist can be helpful for anyone who does not need complete silence while studying. If you don’t want to create your own playlist, Spotify and Apple Music have excellent options. “Intense Studying,” “Chill Lofi Study Beats,” and “Just Focus” are all excellent options on Spotify, whereas “Study Vibes” and “Mellow Days” are great on Apple Music. 

Photo by sgcdesignco on Unsplash

7. Limit Distractions 

Distracting factors are different for every person. If you’re someone who is addicted to your phone and cannot seem to put it down while studying, apps such as “Be Focused” and “Flora and Focus” are free useful downloads. Both apps set a timer on your phone to limit your use of social media apps while studying and will help you set focused goals. 

8. Coffee and tea are a college student’s best friend

Midterms call for many trips to your nearby coffee shop. Whether it’s the nearest Starbucks or Dunkin, or a local shop downtown, coffee and tea become quite the essentials. 

9. Exercise: Run, lift weights, do yoga

Exercise is one of the best ways to relieve stress. Running and lifting weights can help alleviate unwanted stress, while yoga helps calm your mind and body. “Yoga With Adriene” on YouTube is a great way to start, or you could check out the options that UMD’s Eppley Recreation Center has to offer. The gym has group fitness classes such as Barre, HIIT training, Zumba, and many more. 

Photo by Matthew Henry from Burst

10. Self-care is sweet

Self-care is the ultimate way to combat midterm madness. A few of the best ways to practice self-care are facemasks, a hot bath with a bath bomb, journaling, inspirational books such as “Girl, Wash Your Face” by Rachel Hollis, and healthy sleep habits. Many people also swear by essential oils to help with staying relaxed during stressful times.

Gracie is a junior journalism and public policy double major at the University of Maryland, College Park. Currently, Gracie is one of the Campus Correspondents for her chapter alongside Devon Milley.