Wellness

5 Easy Ways to Practice Self-Care During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Implementing self-care into our daily routines is an important way to de-stress, address our needs and check in with ourselves. This can be especially beneficial during stressful times like finals week! See below a list of five self-care activities you can do today to re-charge!

1. Go for a walk! Getting some fresh air can be a great way to take a break as well as re-energize mentally and physically after a long day of studying. For an extra bonus, take a moment to practice some mindfulness tools and observe what’s happening around you! Notice the color of the sky, sounds of the outdoors and how the air feels on your face.

2. Take deep breaths – Taking deep, intentional breaths can help reduce stress and calm nerves. Practice by slowly counting as you inhale, hold the breath for a moment or two, then follow with a deep exhale.

3. Take a moment to meditate – Meditating is a great way to quiet our minds from a long to-do list or anxiety about our finals tomorrow. There are great apps available for smartphones that can help with guided meditation, such as Headspace or Calm. There are also guided meditations available on Youtube. You can do a quick meditation exercise in the morning before an exam or before bed to help with sleep!

4. Make time to call someone you love for some extra support – It’s easy to feel stressed and isolated with a busy schedule. Taking the time to speak with someone (even if it’s just about the weather or your plans for the weekend) can help us feel connected and supported!

5. Do something you enjoy (even if it’s just for a few minutes!) – Take a bubble bath with some scented candles, watch a T.V. show on Netflix you have been meaning to catch up on or go for a coffee with a friend. Making this time to check in with ourselves and take a break from our to-do lists can help reduce stress and improve our mood as well as productivity!

As a reminder, our mental health is just as important as our physical health. Remember to check in with yourself and others about how you are feeling. There are many resources available to help those who may need extra support! NAMI website is a great way to learn more.

Kaleigh Garraffa is a junior at Marist College with a double major in Spanish and Communications, as well as a minor in Creative Writing. Her passions include reading, writing, music, travel, and snuggling her dogs.