This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Yoga has become one of the most popular workout practices of the 21st century. Not only does yoga provide physical benefits, but it is also known to improve mentality. It is proven that yoga improves strength, balance and flexibility, helps with back pain relief, eases arthritis symptoms, benefits heart health, aids in better sleep, helps manage stress and can mean more energy and brighter moods.

Thanks to modern day technology, it is easier than ever to enjoy the practice of yoga in the comfort of your own home. All you need are a yoga mat and a decent amount of space. There are other things you might want, like a blanket and yoga blocks or a stack of books, but they aren’t necessary. There are plenty of resources available on the internet, such as YouTube videos or workout subscriptions. The Manhattan College Fitness Center offers virtual yoga classes via Google Meet. The classes are held on Monday’s at 5:15 (tinyurl.com/jasperyoga) and Wednesday’s at 6:15 (tinyurl.com/jasperyoga2). They are a great option for virtual fitness and a perfect way to wind down after a busy day! 

The mental benefits to yoga are amazing. Taking time out of the day to just focus on yourself is so therapeutic and can really make a difference in your day to day mental health. Harvard studies have shown that doing yoga increases one’s inner awareness on and off the mat. It is known for its ability to decrease stress and anxiety in the mind, as well as in the body.

One of the best parts about yoga is that it isn’t focused on an individual’s appearance. It focuses your attention on your body’s abilities at the present moment. Surveys have shown that people who did yoga were more satisfied with and less critical of their bodies. Yoga is about building a connection between body, mind and spirit. The physical benefits are not the goal, but a gained plus. 

Getting into the routine of incorporating yoga 3-5 days a week can sound quite overwhelming. It is important to listen to your body and do what makes you feel good. It is important to remember that, as a beginner, not every class will be easy. Yoga can feel intimidating with its complicated terminology and difficult poses. With time, it will become easier, so don’t give up if you’re feeling discouraged at first. Go at your own pace!

Ciara O'Leary

Manhattan '22

Senior at Manhattan College pursuing a communications degree with a love for traveling, photography, music, fashion, and writing.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!