Wellness > Health

Ways You Can Care For Your Body Besides Working Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Ciara O’Leary

Self-care is more than just getting a workout in. Taking care of your body has benefits not only for the body but more importantly for the mind. If you’re not feeling up to working out or feel like you need a little bit more self-love, don’t forget about these gratifying practices…

Stretching

When was the last time you took the time to stretch? It’s an often overlooked routine that aids in posture, better sleep, flexibility, and stress release. 

Skincare

Nothing says self-care like a skincare regime you love doing. Incorporating extra serums, masks, tools, etc. into your typical routine every once in a while can make all the difference. Not only is it important to care for our facial skin, but taking time to exfoliate and moisturize our entire bodies after a long shower is a dreamy feeling.

Water

Everyone says how important it is to drink your water. It’s the most simple task that gets emphasized for its benefits over and over, and for good reason. Its long list of benefits can help in so many aspects of our lives. Bored of the taste? Add a little lemon or lime for a bit more flavor and added advantages. 

Nourishment

At the end of the day, caring for our bodies starts from the inside. Focusing on fueling our bodies with healthy foods is such an important factor for our physical and mental health. Placing emphasis on fruits and vegetables in your everyday diets will surely have you feeling better about yourself even when you don’t feel like hitting the gym. 

Walks

Walks are so underrated. Popping in some headphones and listening to your favorite podcast or playlist while on a leisurely stroll is one of the best forms of self-care in my opinion. It is a great way to get some exercise in without doing a full-on workout. 

Listening to your body

One of the most important things you can do is to listen to your body. Don’t feel like working out? Take a rest day. Craving your favorite meal from McDonald’s? Go for it. We need to take care of ourselves, and a major part of that is to treat ourselves when we feel like it. Never forget to be kind to yourself and take things day by day.

Ciara O'Leary

Manhattan '22

Senior at Manhattan College pursuing a communications degree with a love for traveling, photography, music, fashion, and writing.