Wellness

Mental Health and Physical Health Go Hand in Hand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

In today’s age, the facts about mental health are becoming increasingly clear. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, 1 in 5 adults in the U.S. live with a mental illness. The prevalence is highest among young adults between 18 and 25 years old—with 25.8% living with mental illness. The statistics are even more alarming for college students—a startling 36% of college students are diagnosed with a mental health condition. The American Psychological Association found that anxiety is the number one mental health issue affecting college students, followed by depression. Researchers say that there has been a significant increase in mental illness among young adults in recent years.

What factors might contribute to the high prevalence of mental health issues in college students? It is no secret that college can be incredibly stressful at times, and students often struggle with trying to balance an intense workload, extra-curricular activities, a job, and maintaining a social life. Another difficulty that many students face is the transition to living away from home and adjusting to sharing a space with roommates. While stress is unavoidable and a certain amount is even necessary at times, too much stress can wreak havoc on your physical health. Research shows that stress can affect almost every system in the body. According to the American Psychological Association, the effects of stress on the body include:

•     Muscle tension and Musculoskeletal Pain
  •     Fatigue
  •     Tension and migraine headaches
  •     Respiratory symptoms such as shortness of breath, rapid breathing, and asthma attacks
  •     High blood pressure and increased heart rate
  •     Increased risk for hypertension, heart attack, or stroke
  •     Inflammation
  •     Impaired immune system
  •     Heartburn, stomach pain, diarrhea, constipation, indigestion, and nausea
  •     Decreased libido

There comes a point when stress might be something more. With anxiety disorders being the most common mental illnesses among college students, it is important to recognize the difference between stress and anxiety. According to the American Psychological Association, stress is caused by an external trigger, and it can be short-term or long-term. On the other hand, anxiety is characterized by persistent, excessive worries that don’t go away even in the absence of a stressor. There are several types of anxiety disorders with different symptoms. If you find yourself struggling with excessive worrying, intense fears, or panic attacks, these could be signs of an anxiety disorder. Panic attacks can sometimes even seem like a heart attack. A person experiencing a panic attack might notice heart palpitations, increased heart rate, sweating, shaking, and feeling out of breath or even a choking sensation. Although it can feel like it, you are not dying, and it will pass. It might seem obvious, but the best advice is to take deep breaths. 

It is also important to recognize when feelings of sadness might be serious. If you feel sad or depressed for two weeks or longer, you could be struggling with depression. The symptoms of depression to look out for are changes in sleep and appetite, lack of concentration, loss of energy, lack of interest in activities, changes in activity level, feeling of hopelessness or guilt, physical aches or pains, and thoughts of suicide. The effects of depression and stress or anxiety on the body are very similar. Both can cause fatigue, a weakened immune system, cardiovascular disease, decreased libido, cognitive changes, and insomnia. 

The link between depression and cardiovascular disease is proven by research and the facts are startling. According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, people with depression have a 40% higher risk of developing cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. People with depression also have a higher risk of diabetes and Alzheimer’s disease. Research shows that our physical health can actually be the cause of depression itself. Some medical conditions, chronic pain, and sleep disorders can make developing depression more likely. A thyroid disease called hypothyroidism is also known to mimic symptoms of depression. 

In some cases, we can manage our mental health with the right coping mechanisms. For starters, implementing healthy lifestyle habits is crucial. It is not uncommon for college students to neglect important habits such as sleep, exercise, and healthy eating. Pulling an all-nighter and eating ramen noodles for dinner every night are often normalized and thought to simply be part of the college lifestyle. But sleep deprivation, lack of exercise, and poor nutrition are detrimental to our mental and physical health. First, most adults need between 7 to 9 hours of sleep each night. In my experience, lack of sleep greatly impacts my state of mind and makes it much harder to cope with stress. It can affect our moods and even our cognitive functioning. Without proper sleep, the brain’s ability to learn, retain information, and make memories is impaired. 

Sleep deprivation wreaks havoc on our bodies as well. It can negatively impact the immune system, endocrine system, metabolism, and appetite. Stress and anxiety, along with mental health conditions such as depression, can make it harder to get a good night’s sleep. Personally, I have struggled with insomnia as a result of anxiety. Fortunately, I have found a few helpful ways for improving my sleep hygiene. I have had luck with turning off screens close to bedtime, reading a book before bed, and drinking chamomile tea. Some other suggestions include taking a warm bath or shower before bed, practicing meditation, journaling, and incorporating essential oils such as lavender.

Another healthy habit to adopt that can benefit your mental health is exercise. I try to exercise for at least 30 minutes each day. Whether you’re a pro at the gym or not, there are countless ways to incorporate exercise into your daily routine. I enjoy going on runs or even just walks around my neighborhood when I’m not feeling the gym. If you struggle with stress or anxiety, yoga might be awesome for you. Not only is yoga great exercise, but it can positively impact the mind. It’s easy to push off exercise if you are overwhelmed or feeling down in the dumps. For those struggling with depression, it is difficult to find the motivation to work out. But you have probably heard that exercise is a great stress-reliever and mood-booster. As Elle Woods once said, “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands.” She is right about endorphins. Exercise causes the body to release these chemicals, which triggers a positive feeling and promotes overall wellbeing. Endorphins can also relieve pain!

Many people underestimate just how much the food we eat impacts our mental health. Our brain relies on an important neurotransmitter called serotonin to regulate our emotions and moods. Did you know that, according to Harvard Medical School, about 95% of serotonin is produced in our gastrointestinal tract? Studies have found that people who take probiotics experience improvement in their anxiety levels, perception of stress, and mental outlook. The “good bacteria” found in probiotics can lower inflammation throughout the body. Inflammation is the body’s defense mechanism against anything that may harm it, and it is the cause of countless health conditions. The brain can feel the effects of inflammation as well, and this can manifest as depression, anxiety, memory loss, brain fog, and other conditions. 

Experts at Harvard recommend that you pay attention to how different foods affect how you feel, and to try eating a clean diet for a couple weeks. A clean diet refers to cutting out all processed foods and sugar. You may also want to incorporate more foods containing the good bacteria found in probiotics. These foods include kimchi, pickles, and kombucha. Some people also find that cutting out dairy or grains improved their mental health, but don’t feel pressured to give up healthy, clean foods that you enjoy! Overall, it’s important to pay attention to your body and the food you put into it. 

After a long week of classes, many look forward to the weekend, a time for relieving stress and having fun. It is typical for college students to participate in binge drinking, which can lead to blacking out and nasty hangovers. While it may relieve stress in the short-term, regularly consuming too much alcohol takes a toll on your body and mind. Not to mention, drinking might be a problem if you struggle with mental illness or substance abuse. One of the best pieces of advice I’ve received is that moderation is key when it comes to anything you put in your body. If you aren’t in a good headspace, or if you have problems with addiction, I suggest skipping the alcohol. 

Although these healthy lifestyle habits are important and beneficial, they can only go so far for people struggling with mental illness and in need of treatment. Mental health conditions such as depression and anxiety, as well as eating disorders, can impact your appetite and eating habits. Insomnia and sleep disturbances are common symptoms of stress and many other mental health conditions. If you feel that nothing is improving your mental health, I urge you not to suffer in silence. For many people, it isn’t easy to ask for help. If your stress is overwhelming, don’t brush it off as something that comes with the college experience. If you are experiencing feelings of depression, let go of the idea that you can just choose to be happy. 

Above all, know that you’re not alone. There are many resources available to help you, no matter what you’re struggling with. Visit the counseling center at your college if you need to talk to someone, it is often free and confidential. If you don’t feel that talking with a counselor is improving your mental health, consider seeing a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist will assess you and may give you a diagnosis. Being diagnosed with a mental illness doesn’t have to be bad news. Receiving a diagnosis can change your life for the better, and allow you to get the help you need. If you are prescribed medication to help your condition, please know that nothing is wrong with you. There is no difference between people taking insulin for diabetes and people taking medication for mental illness. With the right treatment and a good support system, recovery is possible. In addition, adopting healthy lifestyle practices will put you on a better path toward improving your mental and physical health. Take care of yourself as best you can, you deserve it!

For more information on mental health, visit the National Alliance on Mental Illness website https://www.nami.org/ or call their helpline for support at 1-800-950-NAMI (6264)

To locate treatment options in your area, call the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Helpline at 1-800-662-HELP (4357)

If you or someone you know is experiencing thoughts of suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). If you or someone you know is in immediate danger call 911.   

Sources:

https://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/06/college-students    

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/statistics/mental-illness.shtml

https://www.nami.org/learn-more/mental-health-by-the-numbers

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/nutritional-psychiatry-your-brain-on-food-201511168626

https://www.apa.org/helpcenter/stress-body

https://www.apa.org/topics/stress-anxiety-difference

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/anxiety-disorders/index.shtml https://www.nami.org/learn-more/mental-health-conditions/depression

Clare Smith

Manhattan '21

Clare is a junior majoring in psychology at Manhattan College. Her passions include reading and writing, traveling, women's empowerment, and mental health advocacy.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!