kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Self-Care: 4 Ways to Take Better Care of Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manchester chapter.

Self care is the actions that we take to develop, protect, maintain and improve our health and wellbeing. With exams just around the corner, it’s more important than ever to look after ourselves and keep ourselves fighting fit ready for deadlines, revision and examinations. Here at Her Campus, we have four simple self-care strategies to keep you healthy and happy this exam season.

1. Green tea

I know, know, nothing beats your morning cup of coffee but green teas have so many more benefits. For a start, they have a lot less caffeine. Coffee can often leave you feeling jittery and can increase symptoms of anxiety – something that certainly won’t help you concentrate!

Consider switching to green tea. It still gives you that all-important caffeine boost, but in a more regulated way. It’s also way healthier – it’s loaded with antioxidants and nutrients that help with everything from fat loss to reducing your risk of cardiovascular disease – and comes in a variety of different flavours. We personally recommend raspberry.

2. Get up and go out

No, not on a night out but out in the open. During the run up to exams many students tend to isolate themselves in one space – the Ali G, the library, coffee shops or even their bedrooms. Staying sat down in the same place for hours on end is not going to help with your revision or your wellbeing so take a minute and breath.

Take a break and spend some time outside, letting your mind rest from all the information it’s taking in. Fresh air and a bit of exercise, even if it’s just a short walk around campus, will leave you feeling refreshed and do wonders for your work. There are so many wonderful green spaces around South Manchester that are the perfect space for your revision break – try Whitworth Park if you’re on campus or Platt Fields Park if you’re in Fallowfield.

3. Let it out

University can be tough and it’s especially easy to get overwhelmed during exam season, leaving you feeling down and insecure. But, you’re not the only one. We’re all going through the same experience so reach out to each other; to your friends, flatmates and coursemates and let them know they’re doing a great job and that you’re there for them. We’re sure they’ll recipricate the thought.

Exams can be particularly stressful but try to remind yourself that your value is not based on your grades but who you are as a person. It’s okay to not excel at every module and assignment. However, if you find yourself seriously struggling, set up an appointment with your academic advisor and see how they can help. Don’t be ashamed to get the help you need to do your best in your upcoming exams.

4. See your GP

It might seem a little dramatic, but listen. If you find yourself feeling tired all the time, even after eight hours of sleep, it might not just be stress. Feeling burnt out can be caused by many different things from various disorders to vitamin deficiencies. If you find yourself feeling constantly tired and in need of a nap to get through the day, hit up your local GP and see what’s going on. They’ll be able to run tests and offer advice on how to cope because who needs the extra stress of exhaustion when there are exams to be thinking about?

2nd year student at the University of Manchester, studying (BA) Philosophy. With a keen interest in Law and Philosophical Politics. A love for reading, especially romance novels, spending more time with a book than on actual studying.
Bec Oakes

Manchester '20

A third-year English Language student and Campus Correspondent / Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus at University of Manchester with a love for clothes, cats and crime documentaries. In my spare time I enjoy blogging, skiing in a mediocre manner and putting things in online shopping baskets before hastily abandoning them.