summer girl hawaii yoga hiking exercise view high res version
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Wellness

5 Workouts to Try This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

The weather is getting warmer and the sky is getting brighter, meaning Spring is finally arriving! To kickstart your spring with new experiences and cute workout outfits, grab your gym buddies and try out some of these workout classes.  

1. Spin 

We can all imagine the perfect spring montage: a sunny day where you are riding a bike, a light breeze blowing through your hair that also floats flowers up behind you. However, we also all know that this movie moment is quite hard to create, especially when you live in the middle of a city and do not own a bike. Spin classes provide the bike, pumped-up music, and the ability to control the incline of your ride. Spin is a great class for anyone looking for a strong cardio workout set to music better than any spring montage. You can also sign up for spin classes at Loyola’s FAC!

1. Pilates 

Do not let the videos of crazy Pilates machines scare you away from this rewarding workout. A great place for beginners to start is Mat Pilates, where most exercises only leverage body weight and teach you the basic formations used throughout all levels of Pilates. This workout is perfect for those looking to focus on isolating their muscles and exerting their bodies to their highest points. 

1. Dance 

Pop-up dance classes are a great way for you and a couple of friends to let loose and have fun while still getting a full-body workout in. Dance classes will not only improve your flexibility and range of motion but also your ability to think creatively and get out of your own head. Go out and try that salsa or hip-hop class and let the music and endorphins flow through your body. 

1. Kickboxing 

Looking to force winter into your rearview? Kickboxing classes are an exciting and productive way to blow off steam while improving your self-defense skills. When screaming into your pillow is not enough, try kickboxing to learn more about the proper forms of channeling your energy without injuring yourself in the process. This is a great way to recognize and feel your own power, asserting control over your own body’s abilities. 

1. Yoga  

Along with spring, there is stress, whether from midterms, projects or finals. Yoga is a very effective way to recenter your mind and your body while improving your flexibility. The fluidity and progressive challenges of movements allow you to ground yourself in the present. Let the rest of the world melt away and learn new ways to stretch and strengthen your body. 

No matter what level of fitness you are at, these exercises are a way to get out there are try new ways to help your body be the best version of itself. Throw on those matching bras and leggings, fill your water bottle to the top, and invite friends to try these workouts with you! 

Kaitlyn (pronouns she/her) is an undergraduate student at Loyola University Maryland, class of 2027. She is a communications major with specializations in journalism and advertising/public relations. She is looking to further her career in the editing and publishing business, working with others to showcase their best work. Kaitlyn's interests range from self-care and wellness to numerous types of media. She is a member of the dance company on campus, exploring the styles of tap, jazz, lyrical, and contemporary dance. You can also find her in the yoga studio or kayaking on the weekends to explore nature. Her interest in nail care knows no bounds, with her nails painted a different color every other week along with a new design, inspired by Pinterest of course. She is an avid reader, spanning genres of mystery, romance, and young adult. Cozying up with a good book and hot chocolate under a blanket is one of Kaitlyn's favorite pastimes. Her favorite musical artists are Taylor Swift, Maisie Peters, and Olivia Rodrigo. Additionally, she watches lots of comedy shows, Brooklyn 99 and New Girl being her favorites. Kaitlyn made it a goal this year to watch more classic movies, as she want to learn more about cinematography and how different time periods affect movie contexts. Overall, Kaitlyn is a dedicated and passionate writer looking to resonate her thoughts and ideas with fellow female college students!