stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Underground Sport

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Usually when you hear about people lifting heavy weights, you think of tan guys with big muscles walking around stage; this is not that. This is dedication and determination; pushing your body to the absolute limit to see if you can lift just a little bit more. This is powerlifting.

I sat down with sophomore John Johansen to talk about why powerlifting makes someone both “physically and mentally superior.” Powerlifting is based around three specific lifts: deadlift, bench press, and squat. But don’t think that just because there are only three lifts that this sport is for the faint of heart.  These athletes are physically and mentally some of the toughest in the world.  How many people do you know who can squat 500 pounds?

Johansen originally started lifting for high school sports, but only started powerlifting a few years ago. When asked why those are the only lifts used in powerlifting meets Johansen said, “Those three lifts will expose your full body strength, within those three lifts every muscle in your body is hit. The lifts used focus around the three most basic movements in our lives; you lift, you pull, and you push.”

I sat down with John to ask him a few more questions about powerlifting and exercise in general. 

Since you started powerlifting what results have you seen?

“Powerlifting is very heavily focused on lower body lifting. You could argue the squat and the deadlift are mainly lower body lifts and I think because I put so much time into powerlifting my lower body, such as my legs, have gotten a lot bigger. Since I started lifting not only has my physical appearance changed, but everyday functionality has gotten a little easier. Also, lifting has helped with different body pains. My whole family has a history with back pain; when I go to the gym and start lifting and moving my back feels better than it did when I came in that day. A strong body is a healthy body.”

Why do you suggest powerlifting over other types of lifting such as body building?

“I think powerlifting is a lot better for a young person’s mind. Something that is so focused around one’s appearance over time can take over your life; when it is all about how you look I just think it can make you insecure when someone looks better than you or it can just skew your body image. I think that is where a lot of body image issues for guys comes at least. I just think its better to focus on improving how your body works rather than how your body looks.

What is the difference between bodybuilding and powerlifting?

“The expectation in bodybuilding is extremely unhealthy. To be good in bodybuilding you have to step on your stage at five or six percent body fat, which you can just not argue is healthy. Whereas in powerlifting if you have a natural lifter who has five or six percent body fat, they aren’t going to be good. Your energy, your hormones it all just goes down when your body fat is lower. In powerlifting you are not trying to target specific areas; you are doing three basic movements that target everything.”

For someone who only does cardio it is hard for me to wrap my brain around weightlifting. What benefits does powerlifting provide that also come when doing cardio?

“The cardiovascular benefits that come with powerlifting are probably the most commonly overlooked benefits that come with the sport. Everyone knows that if you lift weights your muscles are going to get bigger, you’re going to be stronger, but when you’re squatting five hundred pounds your heart rate is just insane. As soon as you get done with a super heavy set of five or a set of eight, your heart rate will be through the roof; it’s very similar to running sprints.”

What is your favorite part about powerlifting?

“The feeling; it’s the same feeling right before you play a basketball game, you’re so fired up. I think some people are addicted to that, and they love that feeling, and other people can let it go. There’s no money in this sport, so the people in this sport are people that didn’t make it to the NFL or didn’t make it to the NBA. What makes it great is that everyone there truly loves it. There’s nothing better than drinking a cup of coffee then going to the gym with your friends and just getting super fired up; it just feels good!”

Powerlifting is not just about lifting heavy things. It is one of the most mentally and physically grueling sports in the world. The athletes that choose this sport do not take it lightly.  When choosing this sport do not think you will be in the gym for a half an hour a day running on the treadmill and doing ab exercises.  It is about pushing your body and mind to the absolute limit. You can guarantee that the people who choose to take on this sport aren’t going to be lazy.  They have to be dedicated, patient, and hard working; Rome wasn’t built in a day. Power lifters are truly superior, both physically and mentally.”

I am a fourth year student at Loyola University Chicago. I am highly interested in journalism, and social media marketing, especially when it comes to news and fashion. My current experiences consist of sales in different companies throughout the Midwest, such as Ann Taylor and Kate Spade, and editorial work with various companies, including Her Campus and Orange Coast magazine.