This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

Spending long hours curled up in the library? A bad habit of bored, mindless eating? Running low on your meal plan? Never fear! Exam week, whether it be midterms or finals, is bound to be tough or at least time consuming. Pack up these snacks for your next study session to stay full and focused this midterm season.

For the health nut: NUTS!

Try almonds, walnuts, or cashews next time you need a salty snack. Besides being nutritious and containing a lot of the protein and fiber your body needs, they are actually surprisingly tasty and filling. Some studies have found that they also improve mental health, memory, and cognitive abilities (all of which are pretty crucial to good exams!)

Feeling blue? Try a blueberry!

Berries contain flavonoids, which is what makes them bright and colorful. But more importantly, flavonoids are linked to improved memory and brainpower. Blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, and more also contain anthocyanins, which increase blood flow to your brain and improve cognitive performance.

Studying till dark? Time for some dark chocolate!

They don’t call it the freshman 15 for nothing! Dark chocolate also has a really high flavonoid content, which increases blood flow to your brain and improves your memory, attention, and reaction time. It also reduces mental fatigue if you’ve been studying for a while. For a special treat, try Reese’s dark chocolate or Reese’s dark chocolate thins.

Caffeine is Queen!

Pour that decaf coffee down the sink and start adulting: we’ve got midterms to do! While an excess of caffeine can lead to digestive problems, anxiety, fatigue and insomnia, coffee or green tea can activate your brain to make you more alert and concentrated. Just stay away from energy drinks like red bull to avoid the massive sugar intake.

A personal favorite: Popcorn!

If you’re trying to stave off the freshman 15 while still eating a little midterm anxiety, popcorn is a great low calorie option that still tastes good. Enjoy with traditional melted butter or try something different like G.H. Cretor’s Cheese and Caramel Mix. Spice things up with buffalo popcorn or sweeten things up with some kettle corn.

Now that you have your ultimate snack guide, it’s time to pack up and hit the library! Enjoy!

Julia Barclay

Louisville '22

I am a Spanish and public health double major with a passion for travel, photography, half marathons, and finding goodness in the world.
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!