girl lounging relax 3
girl lounging relax 3
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

How to Stay Grounded During the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

It’s one thing to work hard and grind every day to reach that 4.0, but maintaining that grind work energy is another. In order to reach that 4.0, making time to recharge is imperative. In high school, one of my best friends and I would always find different ways of making sure we were taking care of ourselves throughout the stressful weeks up until graduation. Through academic and life stress, we made time for ourselves. Read on to find out how I’ve taken those tips with me to college: 

Yoga

Yoga is the perfect way to set aside quiet time and stretch out your body after sitting in class all day. The yoga atmosphere with dim lights and quiet help you get more in touch with your surroundings and your breathing. Often times, we do not take in our surroundings as much as we may think because our mind is always somewhere else; when the next exam is, what assignments are due when, and generally questions that take our minds out of our present place and to a future place. Yoga teaches to stay in that present place through mindfulness. Our present place is a happy place. The more present we are, the easier it is for us to get things done, retain information, stay positive in our minds, and reach our goals. Anxiety lives in the future and anxiety is exhausting and can keep us from what we want most in life. Anxiety can drain us of the energy needed for great things which is why staying present and mindful is so important. Yoga has helped me so much with this. What is also great about yoga is the different types of yoga. You can join whatever class you think you would most benefit from. I choose my classes based off of what I have going on that week or what I feel my mind needs. Yoga is the best excuse to take just one hour of no phone, no distractions, and some you time to form that much needed healthy relationship with yourself. 

Exercise

Outside of the yoga studio, taking time for exercise to get your blood circulating is a great way to destress while maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I know finding time between studying, classes and sometimes a part-time job can be difficult. Exercise does not need to strictly be at the gym, it can be anywhere. Taking an hour study break to reward yourself for working hard is a good way of giving your mind a break without binge-watching Netflix and getting distracted with wanting to watch more than just one episode. What I like to do is get all of my impending assignments accomplished that I know need to be completed ASAP and go to the gym for an hour for some cardio and weightlifting. If the gym is a no for you, then going for a run or walk can be just enough to get some circulation to your brain. Moving your body in any way has heaps of benefits for focus, retaining information, and getting those endorphins flowing to feel your absolute best. 

Meditation 

Meditation is one that I swear by. I began meditating a few years ago, and it changed my life. Mediation can change your brain and the way you think in a positive way. It is scientifically proven that meditation keeps the mind present, focused, and improves memory. It’s similar to yoga, with more of a mental focus. If you want to learn more about the effects of meditation on the brain, this article can help you with that. Meditation can be done in just one hour and you can also find guided meditations on YouTube as well as sleep meditations that you can listen to while you hit the hay. There can be an overwhelming amount of meditations on YouTube, a channel. I recommend is Michael Sealey. There will be a more organized amount of mediations you can do on that channel that give clear descriptions of what each mediation does. 

Positive affirmations 

My last tip for staying grounded during the semester, is writing positive affirmations. I recommend going to Target or your favorite stores to buy stationary and investing in a cute notebook. Write a list of goals you will accomplish rather than want to accomplish. I’ve found that this is super effective in helping me reach goals I want to obtain. It is a good way of organizing your thoughts, reminding you of what you are working towards every day and will make you feel motivated. It will also give you a boost of confidence. Instead of “I won’t,” you will be saying “I will.” I have found this to be a great way for me to remind myself that I am capable of anything I put my mind to. Write down whatever you want to accomplish and do not limit yourself. If you want, you can write down how you will reach these goals and the things you will need in order to reach them. In general, you will feel motivated, organized, and less overwhelmed with all of the things you want to do that are all scattered throughout your brain. You can organize them into long-term and short-term goals.

Overall, it’s all about finding what makes you feel like a weight has been lifted off of your shoulders in order to keep yourself in a grounded mindset. These tips have personally helped me a lot throughout my school career. Do what energizes you, not what drains you.

I'm an interior design major at the University of Louisville and a coffee enthusiast.
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!