This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Let me guess what you’re thinking. When you picture yoga, you see a big group of hippies balancing on one foot with their arms out holding hands and singing Kumbaya. Close? While that may be true for some people who practice yoga, it’s definitely not the norm. Yoga is something different for everyone who does it. This traditional form of meditation and exercise has shifted and altered over the years and I guarantee there’s something in it for everybody.

Amazingly, yoga is said to be one of the most effective ways to fight against insomnia. Certain pose sequences can relax the body and quiet the mind. I’m sure everyone has heard of child’s pose and dismissed it as simply laying on your knees. I’m here to tell you it’s not. This pose gives your hips a great stretch while simultaneously de stressing your mind. So next time you’re frustrated and can’t sleep, take a minute, extend your knees out, keep your big toes touching, and reach your hands as far forward as you can.

Yoga also builds a ton of muscle strength – more than you would think! Since a lot of people assume yoga is just stretching and “not a real workout”, many disregard it before even trying for themselves. However, the core is constantly engaged and given a run for its money. The first time I took a class at Corepower I was shocked. Their C2 class is extremely core heavy and done in a 98 degree room. I came out of that room drenched and drained. That day every myth I’d believed about yoga was shattered. Bring it on Corepower!

Studies show that yoga can actually improve your overall mood and make you happier. Certain poses aim to relax your body and reduce feelings of sadness. Consistency in your practice can release more serotonin over time. I personally started going to yoga classes solely for this reason and  have noticed a significant change in my mindset since the beginning of my practice.

I’ll admit I was very skeptical entering my first yoga class ever, and that’s okay. That’s normal. Trust me when I say there’s something in yoga for everyone. So next time you’re walking down the street and pass a yoga studio, give some more thought to what great things it can do for your mind, body, and spirit.