jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Things To Do After A Bad Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Call your parents

No matter what state I’ve been in, I could always rely on my parents to get through it. Whether it was adding a new major, getting over a break-up, or just a bad day, they consistently give great advice. Sometimes, you need someone to be tough on you and your parents are excellent at tough love. However, if you just need some words of encouragement or sympathy, parents can provide that too.

Treat yourself

There is nothing better after a rough day than treating yourself. Go to the mall and get that thing you’ve had in your shopping cart for months. Indulge and get some ice cream or boba. Have a spa night, complete with face masks and all. You deserve it after the day you’ve had, am I right?

Surround yourself with your best friends

Although you may think you want to be alone, being around people who make you happy on a daily basis will turn the day around. Even if it means just one smile or a much-needed distraction from the events of the day, it will help. Ask your friends if they want to go out to dinner or hang out to watch a movie!

Watch something that makes you happy

It is so easy to get sucked into your sadness and watch sad YouTube videos or watch Marley and Me. Resist these temptations, because I promise they will not make you feel better in the slightest. Instead, turn to feel-good TV Shows and movies to lift your spirits. I recommend Parks and Recreation or any Disney movie for some much-needed comfort watching.

Work Out

This one is definitely an individual preference one, but when I work out it releases my frustrations and takes my mind off the day. Exercise also releases endorphins, which are the neurotransmitters that make you feel good! Go to Burns Rec and burn some calories at the elliptical, or even better, take a workout class with some friends!

Go to the beach

I can not stress how peaceful the ocean sounds, so that’s why going to the beach is the first thing I do when I’m stressed. The warm sand will feel like a blanket on your skin and the peaceful waves will hypnotize you.

Go to the bluff

If you don’t feel like going as far as the beach, we have our own mesmerizing scene at the edge of campus. Everyone I know goes to the bluff to think or clear their mind, so why not give it a try. It will get you out of your dorm and into a better headspace.

Lastly, don’t forget that tomorrow is a new day, and that means hopefully a better one. I hope you have a better day tomorrow, and if not, it will not last forever.

Hi! I'm a Senior political science major and peace and justice studies minor at Loyola Marymount University. I grew up overseas in Shanghai and Singapore but now live in Houston, Texas. Currently, I am studying at the Washington Center and working as an intern for the Department of Defense. My main interests include photography, exercising, and snacking on any new snacks from Trader Joe's!
Her Campus LMU