A Lazy Person’s Guide to Cooking Simple Meals in an On-Campus Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

I’ve officially started my Sophomore year and with that, I’ve also started living in an on-campus apartment for the first time. This means that this is also the first time I’ve been completely reliant on myself for food (i.e. I have the option of cooking for myself rather than being solely reliant on whatever the Lair has to offer). That being said, after about a week of school, I’ve quickly come to realize that I am not inspired to make a tri-tip roast on an average Tuesday. It was this thought that led me to decide to make a list of meals and foods to have in your on-campus kitchen that don’t require too much effort and/or skill to prepare. Simple dishes that are perfect for those days when you’re just “not in the mood.”

Fruit

I feel like as long as you always have a couple of different types of fruit lying around your kitchen, you can never really go wrong (unless you are allergic, of course). In general, fruit is always refreshing and an easy grab-and-go type of snack if you’re in a rush. Perfect thing if you are in a hurry and need to go to class but you are also hungry. Just grab a banana and go!

Sandwiches

No frills and perfectly customizable! You can never really go wrong with a good sandwich, as long as you make sure you have all your favorite ingredients stockpiled in your fridge. You can make yourself a ham and swiss, a grilled cheese, a BLT, etc. The options really are endless. 

Pasta

I feel like pasta is one of the hardest meals to mess up. You can dress it up with some chicken and olive oil or you can make it classic with some marinara sauce. All you have to do is boil water, throw some noodles in, and then customize it as you wish. Also, the bonus of just cooking for yourself is after you make a whole box of pasta you will probably have leftovers to save and eat for the next couple of days. THIS MEANS THAT YOU HAVE GUARANTEED MEALS!!! Another reason pasta is great is that it, like both of the previous items on my list, comes in many different shapes and forms. One night you might be craving some ravioli and the next you might want some good ‘ol Mac n cheese.

Eggs

We all know them, we all love them. The perfect breakfast food. Yet, you can have them in many different forms. However, the easiest version of eggs to make is most definitely scrambled. Literally, all you have to do is stir up some eggs and throw some milk or water in the mixture before pouring them into a pan and scrambling them up. You can even add some salt and/or onions for a different taste, but that would take some extra effort and that’s just not what this list is designed for.

The last item on my list should come as no surprise to anyone…

Postmates, Doordash, etc.

They deliver food straight to your door. Enough said!

Lindsey is a Journalism Major at LMU. She enjoys reading and writing in her free time and she is very interested in travel, photography, and adventure.