Sorority Spotlight: Kappa Delta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lehigh chapter.

Want to learn more about each sorority? For the next nine weeks, we will be featuring each chapter on campus. This week: Kappa Delta.

ICYMI: AXOAPhiTheta, and Alpha Gam.

How would you describe the typical Kappa Delta woman?

Kappa Delta’s strive to be confident, supportive, and involved women in everything we do throughout the Lehigh community and beyond.

What is your best memory as a house?

Our favorite memories occur whenever our sisterhood chair plans an event for us! They are always so thoughtful and fun; and we love the opportunity to continue to bond with our sisters, whether it is a “Galentiens Day” party, annual apple picking, or trips to Dorney Park.

How big are your PC’s usually?

Our new member classes range from about 25-37 members.

What is your overall house GPA?

Our house GPA is currently 3.32

What is the chapter’s favorite meal that the chef makes?

Our Chef Kate is the absolute best! She is a classically trained pastry chef who makes amazing desserts whenever sisters have birthdays, and sometimes just for fun. We love that she is a friend and always fun to have around, and makes delicious meals with balanced, healthy options (like her ahi tuna steaks, burger bar night, or penne alla vodka with chicken, tofu or shrimp!)

What are your favorite Kappa Delta traditions?

One of our favorite traditions is Kappa Delta’s International Women’s Friendship Month which occurs every September. We hand out free cupcakes on the front lawn, promote confidence in women and girls through our local partnerships, and have our annual “Plus One Brunch” in which we open our home to our Panhellenic friends in other houses. 

How is your chapter different from the others on campus?

While each KD brings unique views and experiences to our chapter, we love that everyone is bonded through our Kappa Delta values, and always uses the positive support of our sisters to be the best version of ourselves we can be.

What is your philanthropy? What are some events that you do to raise money & awareness for your philanthropy?

Our philanthropies are very important to us; we support Prevent Child Abuse America (founded by a KD) as well as our local beneficiary Project Child through our annual Shamrock event, and we have multiple events a semester with the Girl Scouts of The U.S.A where we work with them in a one-on-one mentoring relationship.

Some people are worried about the financial commitment that is associated with Greek Life. How have sisters in your sorority dealt with this issue?

We work with our members through financial support and payment plans in order to make the financial commitment of a sorority as easy as possible on our members.

What would be your chapter’s advice for a PNM about going through recruitment?

If you go into recruitment with an open mind and confidence in yourself, you will end up in the house that’s right for you-where you feel genuinely accepted, and welcomed with open arms!

Tumblr: http://lehighkd.tumblr.com/

Instagram: @lehighkappadelta

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Kappa-Delta-at-Lehigh-University-169945286519186/

Twitter: @LehighKD

Website: lehigh.kappadelta.org  

Sign Up for Her Campus Lehigh’s Recruitment Newsletter Here

Hi, I'm Amber! I'm the President & a Co-Correspondent of Her Campus Lehigh. I'm a senior Marketing major minoring in both French and Mass Communications at Lehigh University and graduating in May 2017. I am currently the founder of JC Cares 4 U, a Non-Profit Organization aiming to help breast cancer survivors, and I am an Admissions Fellow at Lehigh University Admissions where I interview prospective high school seniors. I have a passion for great food, traveling, and keeping up with celebrity tabloids. I love staying busy, trying new things, and believe in paying it forward. Someday I'll write my own tell-all book so you'll have to wait for it's release to learn more about me!