This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

For most of us, the new semester has already started. However, the first week can still feel a bit like you’re playing laser tag age six, with everyone running around and screaming, while you have no clue what’s going on. Therefore, here are some tips to help you have a better start to this new semester, to make it feel like you’re playing laser tag age nine- everyone’s still running and screaming, but you sort of know what you’re doing this time.

1.Gather your supplies Whether you need to find your module handbooks in the jungle commonly called Minerva or you’re allowing yourself to buy some fresh notebooks for the new semester (all stationery geeks cheer), do that first! Failing to prepare is preparing to fail, and that definitely applies to university, so make sure you have everything you need before you sit down for your first seminar.

2. Look at your due dates Now, I know it’s very easy to just ignore the whole assessments-section of your module handbooks, but that doesn’t always mean you should do it. So, cross your fingers for an easy-going deadline season, bite the bullet, and look when your due dates are. While you’re at it, maybe write them down in your paper/digital calendar, too. Just so you don’t forget.

3. Do the extra work I know, I know, I don’t want to it either. However, it might be a good idea to do some extra work or, in my case, reading, to properly set you up for the new semester. It’s always nice to walk into a seminar actually knowing what you’re going to talk about, and it will definitely help you make a good first impression on your seminar tutor, which will come in handy when you need essay support later on.

4. Invest in your health It’s January, which means everyone’s on that health grind. No matter how much you like to make fun of it to your friends, all these “New Year New Me”-people may be on to something. While you still have the time, try to exercise some more, eat healthier, and invest in your mental health by meditating or doing something else that relaxes you.

5. Be social and have some fun No matter how busy your life gets, friends are important. So, even while you’re getting your life together and working towards your #goals, make sure to still make time for those that are important to you. So, go out, go for a coffee, or go see a movie with someone you love!

Judith was born and raised in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, but has been dwelling in the UK for the past three years. She's currently working towards her Masters degree in history, but when she's not in the library reading/crying, she enjoys writing dark fairy tales, watching Gilmore Girls, and belting out ABBA songs.
Senior Editor for Leeds Her Campus 2018-19