Healthy Lifestyle Blog: A Trip To Manchester And A Book Launch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Anyone else spend the majority of their day thinking about food? No? Just me?! Oh well, no shame in that! I confess I go to bed already looking forward to my breakfast and by lunch I’ll have browsed my favourite food blogs and websites in an attempt to choose something for dinner!

Very few people understand my infatuation with food, but the one who does and shares this journey with me, is my best friend. We encourage, almost compete with each other, sharing recipes, tips and our latest blog discoveries. Her most recent present to me was “The Art of Eating Well” authored by Jasmine and Melissa Hemsley. The Hemsley sisters, along with other ‘superfood’ health gurus such as Natasha Corrett of Honestly Healthy and Ella Woodward of Deliciously Ella that are managing to transform the way in which we both see, cook and use food. If you read my previous blog post on going shampoo free (so far so good!), you’ll know that I have become very conscious of what we put both on our bodies, in terms of beauty products and cosmetics, as well as the food we ingest to nourish them.

As one of the advocates for a clean, sustainable and healthy lifestyle, I was ecstatic when the announcement was made for Ella Woodward’s book launch in Manchester! Ella’s story (which you can read on her blog) is truly inspiring and demonstrates how changes to your diet can have profound effects on your body! As a student (and hopefully one day qualified!) nurse, I see many patients taking 5-10 tablets a day and can’t help but think if there’s another way? Don’t get me wrong, the advances made in these fields are astounding, and I’m by no means discrediting the medical profession or saying that all diseases and conditions can be cured with chemical drugs. However, when you consider that we may slowly be developing resistance to antibiotics, I begin to wonder whether a more natural and plant-based approach to certain aspects of our lives can slowly make a difference?

So this past Wednesday, during what I thought was a snowstorm (I’m used to the sun and beach!), I travelled to Manchester to attend the launch of Ella’s new book: Deliciously Ella! All I can say is: “WOW! What an incredible evening!” Ella was interviewed by Manchester-based food blogger Pamela Bustard, during which she explained the reason behind her drastic lifestyle change and how it has helped her so far; her top kitchen gadgets (a blender and food processor) and favourite ingredients, some of which include chickpeas, coconut oil and almond butter. When it came to the Q&A, I took the plunge and asked the first question: what does she eat when travelling early morning? Her secret? Dates and homemade granola bars!

All I can say is that on the train back to Leeds, I was on a high from having met such an inspirational, kind and beautiful woman! Her approach to eating healthily was not restrictive, complicated or expensive (crucial on a student budget!). Most importantly, Ella said it focuses on “counting goodness, not calories!” My philosophy – food needs to be enjoyed or it loses its appeal.

Image Sources:

1)     https://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&q=deliciously+ella+book&oq=&gs_…

2)     Own image

3)     Own image