Wellness

You Need to Get Your Body AND Mind Moving through Working Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

During current situations, it is important to make sure we are taking care of our mental health. It can be tough when there is a lot of uncertainty in the world right now and we are probably missing out of events or people we were looking forward to and are not around others as much.

One of the ways to help your mental health can be exercising. I am not an expert, but I have found doing some form of exercise such as running, dancing, hiking, etc. can not only help your physical health but also your mental health. Although we are currently stuck in our homes, there are plenty of free online at-home workouts and you can always go for a run or a bike ride outside.

For me, running is always a stress relief. Working out has proven to relieve stress, focus your mind on something else, and release endorphins. Going out and getting some sunshine on your face while riding your bike or even just going for a walk can brighten up your mood in these hard times. Facetime a friend while you both go for a walk in your separate neighborhoods, it is a great way to catch up and get some exercise in. Even just stretching your body or meditation can be great for your physical and mental health. Yoga is also a peaceful way to workout and there are plenty of free yoga videos on youtube.

Recently, I have heard from some friends that they listen to the news while running because it stresses them out, so that is also something to try out. So get outside, get some vitamin D, and get moving!

Emalee is a Senior at Lasell University and the President of Her Campus Lasell. She is currently a Campus Community Management Intern for Her Campus! She is a Fashion Merchandising and Management major and a Communications minor. Besides Her Campus, she is the President of Newman Society, loves taking photos, going for hikes, and going to the beach.