Pills Spilling
Pills Spilling
Ellen Gibbs / Spoon
Wellness > Health

Supplements: The Five You Should Be Taking

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

There are several reasons one may start taking supplements or vitamins. Some do it for deficiencies, others for medical reasons, and others because their parents forced them to at a young age. I take both vitamins and supplements everyday for deficiencies and medical reasons, so here’s my list of top 5 supplements to take and why:

1. Vitamin D

This vitamin is crucial, especially if you are in a place that doesn’t get much sun. It helps absorb and retain both calcium and phosphorus. Calcium is very important for bone density and strength! This vitamin is scientifically proven to also reduce cancer cell growth and inflammation as well as help control infections. It also helps your skin become clear and healthy!

1. Calcium

This vitamin is important, especially if you have a condition or medication which impacts your bone density and growth. Certain birth controls actually decrease bone density, which can greatly impact joints and strength causing chronic pain. A calcium supplement can also help protect against cancer, diabetes, and high blood pressure.

1. Iron

This supplement is vital, especially for anemia or iron deficiencies. An iron supplement can increase energy, increase concentration, regulate body temperature, decrease headaches, decrease hair loss, and decrease restless leg syndrome. 

1. Vitamin B12

This vitamin is great for many key reasons. It helps keep red blood and nerve cells healthy, assists in making DNA, battles anemia, and fixes nerve problems (numbness, muscle weakness, walking troubles, etc.). Vitamin B can even be of service for mental problems such as depression, memory loss, and behavioral changes.

1. Magnesium

This supplement is essential for biochemical reactions in the body, like converting energy, creating and repairing genes, helping with muscle movement, and regulating the nervous system. Magnesium is also helpful with combatting depression, supporting blood sugar levels, preventing migraines, getting better sleep, and even reducing anxiety.

She/they LGBTQ+ Lasell '26 Graphic Design Major