This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

When it comes to mental health, though it is less of a stigma in our society, we still have a long way to go when it comes to having the right conversations.

If someone is mentally ill, it may not always be visibly obvious. Even so, we should treat each other with the upmost respect because we truly don’t know about what others might be dealing with internally.

Lately, there’s been a lot of talk about being there for others as they go through hard times. We say things such as “checking on your friends is important”, and “be there for each other”, but for a lot of people, this can be just talks.

Though it might come from a genuine place, people have trouble practicing what they preach. What many don’t realize is that being there for someone who has mental health issues takes a lot of effort–effort that many truly aren’t capable of giving.

Human beings continuously treat others as less than, while preaching about “self-care”, and it’s time we confronted our self- centered society, so we can have healthier relationships with those who need us.

If you are dealing with mental health issues of any kind, it’s important to surround yourself with people who care about your mental well-being. Realize that it is okay to distance yourself from those who threaten your peace of mind.

We tend to think we owe everybody something, when, the only person we owe anything to, is ourselves. We owe it to ourselves to ensure that our minds are healthy. We owe it to ourselves to ensure that are inner being is well aligned.

Looking out for ourselves as an act of self-care may also be difficult when we also need to tend to our daily responsibilities such as school or work though.

Sadly, we are bound to deal with teachers who test us regularly, or bosses who don’t know how to control their emotions. These responsibilities we can’t necessarily get away from, but we always have to remember mental health needs to be a priority.

Regardless of what anyone says, your happiness should be of the upmost importance. Never ever compromise your mental stability. Go where your heart makes you happy, as an act of self-care.

Pay close attention to those around you, and be there for your close friends and family whenever you can. Again, you may never know what somebody else is going through.

#mentalhealthawareness