ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Three Sure-Fire Ways to Avoid Burn-out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

1. Don’t Work Hard. Seriously, you may as well half-ass it. Do the minimum to get by. “C’s get degrees” as they say. Eventually the pressure to achieve and succeed will fall away from you as you coast through life just doing the barest of essentials. Soon, even those around you will loosen the pressure on you to do more than “just enough.” The freedom of mediocrity awaits you.

2. Don’t Be Passionate. There is nothing in the world worth giving your all to. Whether it’s research or art or activities, few things are amaze-balls enough for you to devote yourself wholeheartedly to. Leave the dedication to the naturals and the professionals. The stars of the world were born to it, without hours and hours of dedication and love to achieve their dreams. Who needs it. Take a nap.

3. Don’t Participate in Emotional Labor. Let people handle their own shit. They’re adults and need to learn to manage their lives on their own. Really, are you the best person to give advice to anyway? You, the mediocre, half-assing, impassionate, ne’er-do-well? After a time, they will stop coming to you with their problems. They will stop relying on you for support and friendshipt. No peers, no pressure, amirite?

Burn-out is a fact of a well-lived life. It happens, but the most important thing you can do is be aware of its approach. Give yourself permission to feel exhausted, to take a moment for yourself, to say “no” occasionally to people who need you, or, better yet, ask them to help you out for a change. Most people are just dying to lend a hand to someone who never asks for it. Work hard, be passionate, give yourself, but as the burn-out approaches, and it will, step back, breathe, and recalculate. 

Be amazing, but take naps too.

Heather Flyte is a graduate student in English Literature at Kutztown University in Pennsylvania. She is currently writing her thesis on the transfer of imperialism in the translation of Japanese folk tales. She is a non-traditional student who has previously worked in journalism and web development and plans to pursue doctoral work in Composition and Rhetoric.