ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Don’t Forget About Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Imagine a typical weekday and what your routine consists of. Now within your routine, how many things do you do that are just for your self care and personal well-being?

Our self care is something many people forget about when they’re trying to make it to the end of the week, myself included. For me, there’s work, classes, volunteer service, occasional studying, the gym, and food here and there. I can argue that eating is the one thing that I do throughout the week that is just for me, to make me happy, but sometimes I even forget to do that. With all the running around I do during the day, sometimes I forget to do something as simple as feed myself: something I know for a fact will make me happy and relaxed.

I’ve realized that if you’re attacking life this way, you’ll end up crawling through the week, trying to get to the weekend to destress and take a break from all the weight you’ve been carrying. Then once we finally reach the weekend, there are roughly 2 days to wash away the stress of a 5 day period and it’s simply not enough.

Now imagine at least two things that make you happy. It could be as simple as food, a nap, or catching up on your favorite tv show. If you try your hardest to incorporate these things into your week, at least once a day, it could help with the amount of stress you have at the end. We tend to try and take on the world and carry more than what’s recommended, which isn’t a bad thing. I’m all for superpowers and doing extraordinary things. However, there’s something just as powerful within the ability to say that’s enough, knowing your limits and what’s healthy for you. Self-care and managing your stress is a huge part of that, so don’t forget about yourself.