stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why More Women Should Try Aerobic Kickboxing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Photo credit: Revmma.com

It is 2015 and kickboxing is not just for men anymore, especially not in the aerobic category! As stated by Michelle Berin, a second year student at UW-Lacrosse, “Kickboxing helped me let off some steam and feel more confident about myself. With the skills that I learned from that class I feel safer when the weekend comes along and if I end up walking home alone.”

I know kickboxing may sound intimidating, but it really can be more fun and beneficial than you’d think.

Aerobic Kickboxing does not include combat!

When most women hear the word kickboxing, they immediately imagine themselves taking a hit to the jaw… No, thank you! Luckily, if physical combat is not your thing, aerobic kickboxing is still an option for you. An aerobic kickboxing class typically includes strength training, as well as punch and kick combinations set to music. When working with a partner you just take turns holding punch pads for each other, and a lot of times you just kick and/or punch heavy bags. The best part? They don’t punch back. Just watch out when they swing back towards you!

You get to learn some awesome self-defense moves.

It is a sad truth in our society that we, as women, are especially vulnerable to predators. Don’t allow yourself to be a victim! I agree with the feminists who argue that women should not have to worry about being able to defend themselves from men, but that does not change the way our society is. It is better to equip yourself with the necessary skills to protect yourself from an attacker than to refuse training because you feel that you shouldn’t have to have it. In aerobic kickboxing, you can learn how to effectively kick and throw a punch so that you can do some damage regardless of how small you may be. Here’s one hint: To avoid breaking your hand, punch with your knuckles, not your flat fingers!

It is a great way to relieve some stress.

There are so many stressors in the average college student’s life. When stress builds up inside of you, there are countless negative side effects. Stress can make it difficult to get much of anything done, it deteriorates your health and tends to put you in an all around terrible mood. Studies have shown that physical activity helps to relieve stress, and kickboxing is no exception! Just imagine that your punching bag is filled with all of the things that are stressing you out, and then knock them out!

Photo Credit: highertone.wordpress.com

It is an awesome work out!

Aerobic kickboxing is so much more than learning some cool moves. Your trainer will likely walk you through a combination of strength training exercises using jump ropes, medicine balls, body weight exercises and more. These exercises will tire you out and tone you up!

It’s fun!

Even though this class might kick your butt every now and then, you are sure to have a great time. You are sure to gain new friends and a higher sense of confidence along the way, and on top of that, when you exercise your body releases endorphins. Endorphins make you feel happier and boost your mood during your work out and after.

If you are looking for a new way to stay active, remember that kickboxing is for girls too! Show those boys how strong and confident you can be both walking down the street, and standing in a gym in front of a heavy bag.  Keep your chin and your fists up ladies! 

Photo: KU kickboxing class

I am a Chicago native, and a student at the University of Kansas. I'm studying secondary education with an emphasis in English, and I hope to earn my masters in special education. My favorite things in the world are puppies, girl's nights in, and perfectly balanced caramel macchiatos. My least favorite things are clowns, writer's block, and going to the dentist. If you want to know more about me, just read my articles! I will try to put my own personal spin on every topic I cover. Her Campus rules, Rock Chalk!