Wellness > Mental Health

Small Things You Can Do To Feel Better About Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Let me be completely transparent… I haven’t felt like myself lately. It is incredibly easy for many people to lose touch with who they are when they become accustomed to college norms. I am constantly worrying about schoolwork, clubs, and greek life responsibilities, all while trying to maintain an apt social life for college (which, as we all know, means going out… like a lot). Even though we are living out the “best four years of our lives,” it is very common for people to forget who they really are in the process and, in a way, be left feeling kind of bad about themselves. Let this article be a little reminder to you that it is okay. It’s normal, and it isn’t hard to pick yourself back up from the ashes. Here are a few ways in which I have been able to remember who I am, feel better about myself, and, as bluntly as possible, get my shit together.

1. Call your mom – Ah, the one who started it all. There is no better person to remind you who you are than the person who made you. If you are fortunate enough to have a good relationship with your mother like I am, it does wonders to start talking to her more. Giving her a call will not only improve your day, but I can almost guarantee that it will improve her day as well.  My mom knows the person I am, inside and out, and talking to her allows me to see myself again. Calling your mom is such a small thing you can do, and I would encourage everyone to do it more often.

2. Clean your room – Seriously, you can’t feel great about yourself if you’re constantly dodging that desk chair with the towering mountain of clothes piled on top of it. There’s science behind the fact that a cluttered room produces much higher stress levels. Even if it’s something as simple as organizing your desk, picking clothes up off the floor, or making your bed, you are going to feel much more at peace with yourself. In a way, it tricks your mind into thinking you have your shit together… Even if you don’t ;)

3. Wake up 10 minutes earlier – Taking as little as five to 10 minutes to slowly wake your body up in the morning can make a huge difference in the remainder of your day. Having to wake up and immediately start rushing to get ready for your day leads to stress that is totally unnecessary. Why not wake up a few minutes earlier to sit outside and enjoy a cup of coffee? I like to use this time to eat a decent breakfast, relax while I drink my coffee, and stretch. I leave my house feeling happier and mentally healthy!

4. Reflect –  Set aside a small portion of your day to journal, read, reflect, or meditate. If you’re anything like me, you’ll have to schedule this time in your day, otherwise you’ll blow it off, but it’s such a game changer. This summer, I started to write down three things that I love about myself each day. This doesn’t sound like much, but it was actually a lot harder than you think! As I continued to do it, I found myself to be happier with who I was. I would absolutely recommend this; we all need a little self love to make it through the day.

5. Go for a drive – Whether it be with your best friends or alone, going for a drive with the windows down and listening to your favorite music always does the trick of snapping me back into myself. Pro Tip: play some throwback jams from your prime. That’ll REALLY remind you of who you are. If a drive doesn’t do it for ya, take a walk! Sometimes, disconnecting from all of life’s chaos is absolutely necessary unless we want to go insane.

Image Credits:

https://www.vogue.com/article/homes-clueless-anniversary-bedroom-decor-cruel-intentions-jawbreaker

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/145100419230438211/

https://www.shutterfly.com/ideas/how-to-start-a-gratitude-journal/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/559642691186184373/

Hi there! I'm currently a Junior studying Strategic Communications in the Journalism school here at the University of Kansas. I hope you enjoy reading anything and everything I have to say!