Make This Year’s Valentine’s Day Physically and Mentally Healthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

February: the month of love and everything red. Valentine’s Day, whether loved or hated, is fast upon us. While you may have had a little too much to eat at that Super Bowl party— I know I sure did— make this year’s Valentine’s Day a healthy one. Whether spending the day with your significant other or with a bottle of red wine, Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to mean stuffing your face with everything covered in chocolate, even though you may want to.

While browsing Pinterest after searching “Valentine’s Day,” page after page revealed chocolate, flowers and well, more chocolate. I’m pretty sure I went into a chocolate coma just looking at the computer screen. Ditch the pounds of chocolate, the mounds of pasta or, in the case of all you single ladies, the self-pity of drowning your heart in a tub of Ben and Jerry’s. This year, make your Valentine’s Day a healthy one. 

It’s simple.  I’m not telling you not to indulge on this special holiday, but there are ways to have your chocolate cake and be healthy too. Don’t believe me? Well these recipes and tips will help to keep your heart beating, and not from the cute things your significant other is bound to do for you.

Here are a few tips to keep your Valentine’s Day healthy:

1. Get out of bedI know it may be hard for some of you single ladies out there, but don’t hide under the covers and shut out the world on this day that revolves around love. On the other hand, all you happily taken ladies may be ready to welcome this day of love with open arms. Whether spending it single or taken, start your Valentine’s Day off the right way with a heart healthy breakfast. We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but ditch the sugary cereal and indulge in a fat stack of French toast. Put a healthy spin on French toast with my Valentine’s Day inspired recipe. Mix egg whites, a little almond milk and cinnamon in a bowl. Take two pieces of bread (I use Ezekiel bread) and dip them in the egg batter until they’re soaked through. Cook until browned on each side in a pan. Cut each piece in half, stack on top of each other and top with strawberries, or whatever red fruit you love. You can add some peanut butter because, let’s be honest, who doesn’t love peanut butter? Or if you’re looking for a little chocolate protein, mix half a scoop of protein powder with almond milk and cocoa powder and drizzle on top of the stack of French toast. 
  2. Celebrate othersNow although I’m sure if you’re a single lady on Valentine’s Day  all you want to do is mourn this day of love and your first instinct is to dress in all black and mope around all day, but don’t do it. This day of love isn’t about just having a significant other to spoil; it’s about all of the others in your life that you love as well. Friends, family, and, yes, even your cat deserve some loving too. Instead of getting down on yourself on Valentine’s Day, use it as a day to celebrate everyone else in your life. Step out onto campus dressed in red or pink with a big smile on your face and no one will know you’re going home to your cat after classes (don’t worry I will be too). 
  3. Get fit togetherIf you do have plans, instead of asking your significant other for a dinner and a movie, like most couples tend to do on Valentine’s Day, spice things up a bit. Get active this Valentine’s Day by hitting the gym with your loved one. Drop the uncomfortable heels, skin tight dress and box of chocolates. Instead grab your yoga pants, tennis shoes and your significant other and head to the gym for a Valentine’s Day work out. I know, who wants to work out on a holiday? But doing it with your partner will be sure to put a fun twist on it. You could even see if your gym has a cardio class you two lovebirds could go to like boxing or yoga. And of course your man will love not having to sit through a boring chick flick. Just don’t tell him that after the gym that’s exactly what you’ll be doing. 
  4. Recover with redInstead of heading straight to the box of chocolates after your workout, make a different kind of Valentine’s Day treat. Give your body a nice recovery with a protein fruit smoothie. Simply mix strawberries (or any red fruit for that matter), vanilla Greek yogurt, whey protein, natural peanut butter, almond milk and ice together for a Valentine’s Day inspired smoothie. Stick a red striped straw in it with a paper heart attached and boom, you’re celebrating Valentine’s Day the healthy way with a sweet protein smoothie and not sweet candy. You could even add a little cocoa powder for your chocolate sweet tooth. 
  5. Sweet victoryLast but not least, end your romantic day with a night cap of Tone it Up Chocolate Cups and of course a romantic chick flick. Melt one cup of dark chocolate or carob chips in the microwave. Lightly spray 12 cupcake liners with cooking spray and carefully brush the melted chocolate inside the cupcake liners. Place the liners in the freezer for 30 minutes until the chocolate is hardened. When they are ready, peel the paper liners off, leaving you with a perfect chocolate cup. You can then fill them with whatever you want— try fresh fruit or frozen yogurt for a special treat.