This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Krea chapter.

“That’s it, that’s it- wait, is that it?” This is how the average person reacts to losing their virginity. The array of media we surround ourselves with has romanticised this experience to a point where the line between what’s real and what’s not is blurred. We get so caught up in wanting the “experience” that we seldom consider the needfulness of it. Don’t worry though, we’re here to remind you that ‘a whole is greater than the sum of its part’ and sex, my gals, lads and non-binary pals, is one singular part.

You’re missing out!

Not on sex but the numerous things next door to it. This façade built around losing your virginity is inconsequential when you compare it with other experiences, say, for example, kicking ass at beer pong. Especially in your teenage years, it is important to invest in experiences with your friends and if that means going to college a virgin, that’s okay (do not fret, college chicks feast on virgin freshmen).

Don’t rush it!

Know what’s worse than no sex? Gross sex. In the rush to get laid, so many folks end up forgetting the potential it has to be great, resplendent, uh-mazing. It doesn’t matter if Ramu has slept with 67 people already (highly unlikely for a Ramu though), he probably enjoyed it only 0.2% of the time.

How right is Mr. Right?

Having said all that we have, if you still want to go ahead with crossing it off your bucket list, then go for it (Godspeed). If you’re looking for just the experience and not really someone special to share it with then waiting for the perfect someone isn’t going to work. In fact, having a little bit of experience might mitigate some of the awkwardness you may experience when you do find your perfect person.

It’s overrated (tsk tsk)

Sex, like many other things in life, is overrated. Yes, it’s fun and it helps satisfy your insatiable wants and it increases your cool-factor five-fold, but the degree of satisfaction and escalation of status is exaggerated. There are times when you have sex with someone and it’s an amazing experience (go tiger), but that does not happen all the time. Many a times, it leaves you unfulfilled. So don’t go chasing sex, there are better things to run after- butterflies.

All in all, we are here to tell you that we support you, no matter what. Please do remember though, the world’s still battling poverty and is preparing for an upcoming climate crisis, and so forth, so it really doesn’t matter how many partners you’ve had or why there’s been a dearth of them. Stay classy.

hello, I'm kp, a senior at krea university. I'm what they call a dog person. I endorse hugs, debate and Nietzsche, and I strongly believe that if more people read 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra', the world be a little nicer to live in.