The Life Changing Magic of a Blender

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

My New Year’s Resolution was to practice healthier eating habits, and that’s good because I have a fairly good track record with resolutions. When I was 14, I resolved to drink more water, and for that entire year, I didn’t touch any other drink. However, as I eat flavor-blasted goldfish after already having had two candy bars today, I can say that at least this week, I’ve been a little unsuccessful (don’t tell my fitness Instagram followers, but salad is gross). Obviously, I am not giving up on this endeavor, and I am helped by my little friend named Cirq. Cirq is my blender.

Over winter break, I returned to my retail position at Forever 21, and I had very easy access to Jamba Juice. After one month back at work, all of the Jamba Juice employees knew my name and drink order. I was hooked on smoothies. They were filling, and they provided me with protein and my daily dose of fruits and veggies, so I knew that continuing to make myself smoothies was a crucial step in my health plan, especially in college where you might not want to eat Peirce’s steamed zucchini for the 6th night in a row.

So, as soon as I received my paycheck in the mail, I immediately sat down and ordered a smoothie-specific blender. Three days later, my little bundle of joy arrived. I got to work trying to recreate my favorite recipes. I was now provided with breakfast options before my 8:10. Gone were the days of eating a protein bar. I no longer had to substitute snacks for a meal.

I can not recommend enough that you purchase a blender. It can be difficult to practice healthy habits in college, and it’s so much easier to justify ordering pizza if you’ve already made sure to get your fruits and veggies in for the day. There are plenty of affordable options on Amazon, and after a few uses, it pays for itself. You can snag items from Peirce totally for free. Grab a banana, some peanut butter, and a cup of milk and you’ve got yourself a smoothie (after some freezing of items). Or, if you’re feeling a little more creative grab things from the market or take a trip to Walmart. I’ll leave some smoothie recipes to get you started!

Breakfast Bana-za

• 1 banana

• Handful of frozen peaches

• 3 scoops of Greek yogurt

• Milk

• Ice

(I made this for my 8:10 and spilled it on my parka so just watch out when pouring)

Millennial Hooligan

• 1 kiwi

• 1 bottle of lime Everfresh juice

• Handful of frozen peaches

• Handful of frozen blackberries

• Ice

• 3 scoops of Greek yogurt

(I recommend listening to Midnight City by M83 while drinking this)

Red-handed

• Handful of frozen strawberries

• Handful of frozen raspberries

• 2 kiwis

• 3 scoops of Greek yogurt

• Sugar (optional)

(Disclaimer: this is BITTER without at least a little sugar also defrosted raspberries look like blood and it’s scary)

Retail Worker Fuel

• 3 scoops of peanut butter

• 1 banana

• Chocolate protein powder

• Milk

• 2 Scoops of Greek Yogurt

(okay this is almost completely ripped off from Jamba Juice, but if this can get me through BOGO sales at Forever 21, it can get you through anything)

If you are lactose intolerant like myself, you can absolutely substitute any dairy products with almond and soy products. You’re probably used to spending a little extra money on non-lactose items at this point anyway. Now, go forth and smoothie!

Image Credit:  Feature,1, Juliana Delsante

Juliana is a writer for Her Campus Kenyon and is a proud Classics major on the Ancient Greek track. When she isn't writing, you can find her practicing softball for the Kenyon Ladies Varsity Softball Team or practicing ballroom dancing. Don't ask how she manages to do all this while learning to translate Ancient Greek because even she doesn't know. Check her out on social media! twitter: @hoolianya25 instagram: @jules.delsante tumblr: callowromantic@tumblr.com
Jenna is a writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a senior chemistry major at Kenyon College, and she can often be found geeking out in the lab while working on her polymer research. Jenna is an avid sharer of cute animal videos, and she never turns down an opportunity to pet a furry friend. She enjoys doing service work, and her second home is in the mountains of Appalachia.