“Babe, Am I Getting Fat?”: Thoughts on Body Image

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

**Trigger Warning: This article contains a discussion of issues with body image.**

I am 5’1 and 114lbs. I amby no meansfat. However, I am scared of that word. I’ve been running from that word since I lost the ability to consume all the calories I wanted without gaining weight and since I have become more aware of how my body is perceived by others and, consequently, myself. So basically, ever since I hit puberty.

I am “typical,” in the sense that I have neither experienced extreme social criticism over my body, nor have I gone through extreme body dysmorphia. However, it doesn’t make dealing with my negative body perceptions any less real or detrimental.

I find that the things I do are echoed by negative or positive feedback from my consciousness concerning my weight. Sometimes I use abusive language to get me to work out or eat less calories. I tell myself that I have to work out today because I indulged myself to a piece of cake yesterday, and if I don’t well I might as well surrender to the “freshman fifteen.”

I do get positive reinforcement after working out because, physiologically, getting an intense workout produces endorphins that makes you feel good, but it’s also because I feel like I’ve lessened the burden of things I ate or will eat after burning extra calories. I want to say that I workout and eat healthy purely to make my body healthy and strong, but an even stronger motivation is to see physical results like seeing my stomach flat and my butt a little less flat. An even stronger motivation still is to gain acceptance and respect from myself. When I see my belly hanging slightly over my jeans or when my thighs rub too much, I get insecure that I’m not only losing control of my body, but also my life.

My body image is tied closely with my self-worth, so I’m stuck in a vicious cycle where I “eat too much” without going to the gym, I get insecure and talk down to myself, I go to the gym, and then I feel better for a short while. Even though, in the end, I have a healthier body, does that mean I have healthy intentions? Is fear a valid way to get me to do things that are good for myself?

After conversations with Harrison, my boyfriend, I can argue that it is not.

Sometimes I would look at myself on Skype and complain about the extra fat around my neck I suddenly noticed. Other times I would trudge about needing to go to the gym at 7AM to fit a workout into my already busy schedule. Helike the supportive and rational boyfriend he istells me how ridiculous I am and that he’ll love me no matter what shape my body’s in.

I had such an unhealthy perception of what a body should look like that I went beyond trying to control my life, but also Harrison’s as well. I imposed a body ideal onto him, telling him that I would essentially find him more attractive if he worked out more and looked a certain way. I thought this was acceptable, maybe because it was a projection of how I feel about my own body. I internally compare myself to other people’s physique, and I constantly strive to obtain a perfect body. I hate that I think that way and I hate that I could’ve made him as insecure as I am.

That was when I had to stop and ask why can he love me unconditionally and without hesitation, yet I can’t do that for myself?

To undo years of repression, negative self-talk, and negative body perceptions is not going to be easy, but I am now aware when I do it and how it can negatively affect my life and relationships. I am also aware that body image issues can affect people of all genders, and that imposing superficial ideals on anyone is just plain ignorant. I am thankful that I have unlimited support from Harrison, and that there are resources at Kenyon that can help me work through it. No matter how much support I get externally, the most influential voice is my own.

I have since learned to turn my “have to’s” to “want to’s”. I don’t have to go to the gym to be skinny, but rather I want to go to the gym because it makes me feel happy, productive, and healthy. This gets me up on Saturday mornings to go to the KAC, and I have been happier because I get to spend that time loving my body, not fearing it.

Image Credit: Shades of Hope, Piclist, Quotesgram, Giphy

I'm a first-year at Kenyon College. I was raised in Staten Island, New York. I'm a Scorpio. I'm a delicate balance between introvert and extrovert. I'm into Environmental Science and Politics. I'm super excited to be part of Kenyon's Her Campus team. Go Ladies!
Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.