neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 11 Wonderfully Stressful Stages of Course Registration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

College course registration is probably one of the biggest struggles you will ever face. I remember registering right before my freshman year began and I have never felt so stressed, emotional, or relieved in my life. I thought that maybe, just maybe, I would feel less stressed as time went on, but lo and behold, the stress never ends. I am here to describe to you the wonderfully stressful stages of course registration that most students will face.

1. Realizing that you need to start thinking about what courses to take next semester

It may seem like you have just settled into your classes for the semester, but unfortunately, the semester is coming to a close. The time has come to consider what classes you want to take for that fresh, new semester.

2. Thinking about how much time you think you have before registering

Course registration may seem like it is weeks, maybe even months away. This mentality gives you time to focus on your current work and worry about course registration later.

3. Realizing how much time you actually have before registration

About three days after thinking you have weeks to plan out your courses and register, reality hits and it finally sinks in that you’re registering for courses next week. You set all of your work aside and start to frantically check the searchable schedule, schedule meetings with your advisor, and email professors begging to get on the waitlist for their class. My word of advice: try to keep track of how much time you have before you have to register for courses.

4. Meeting with your advisor to get your Alternate PIN (aka the only thing that really matters when it comes to registering for classes)

Think of your alternate PIN as your child. If you lose your PIN, you can say bye bye to having a good chance during registration. I also recommend getting your PIN well ahead of time. Do not be the person to get your PIN five minutes before registration. I was that kid last semester; high-key do not recommend.

5. Seeing what classes you are able to take, and how full they are

The searchable schedule provides you with all of the information you need to register for classes. Do not be alarmed if the link to the searchable schedule pops up as a tab in your “most frequently visited” websites.

6. Registering for classes on a Thursday at 11:15

The time has come. Find a nice and relaxing spot with good WiFi, and pray that you get into all of your classes.

7. Having the site not load/work or WiFi is not being your friend at 11:15

This is probably the biggest issue. With everyone in your year trying to register at 11:15 on the dot, the internet connection is going to be a struggle. Do not panic though, everything will be ok as long as you keep refreshing the page.

8. The struggle of typing in those CRN codes

My only word of advice is to copy and paste the CRN codes. That way, you don’t type in the wrong code. I also find it to be a little bit faster than manually typing the CRN.

9. Praying that you can get into your classes

It’s pretty much up to fate at this point.

10. Realizing you didn’t get into a class, then panicking to find a class to take

Even if you don’t fill your entire course load, there is always the add/drop period where you can go in and beg professors to let you take their class.

11. The moment of relief when it’s all over

Then you realize that you need to repeat this process again at the end of next semester.

As you can see, this general pattern of chaos, stress, and madness will never leave you until you finish your final course registration during senior year. Until then, good luck friends with course registration. Remember, positive thought equals positive outcomes!

Image Credit: Feature, 1, 2

Anushka is a hopeful (undeclared) Pscyhlogy or Economics major. She is a sophomore at Kenyon College, and while she's not working hard in school, she can be found admiring memes and cute dogs. Anushka is from Seattle, Washington and loves spending time with her friends and hiking the many mountains of the Pacific Northwest.
Hannah Joan

Kenyon '18

Hannah is one of the Campus Coordinators for Her Campus Kenyon. She is a Buffalo native and plant enthusiast studying English and Women's and Gender Studies as a junior at Kenyon College.