3 Tips to Eating Healthy During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Finals week has almost hit, and that can mean mealtime sabotage for some of us. We can all relate to grabbing whatever snack happens to be within arms reach when we’re too stressed to care what we put into our stomachs due to studying-induced hunger pains. Not an ideal situation when summer is less than two weeks away (hello bikini hiding in the back of my underwear drawer!). So, resist the urge to order that box of greasy pizza when pulling an all-nighter and follow these tips to eating healthier during finals week. Trust us, your waistline will thank you.

Tip 1: Fill up on fiber and protein.

Whole grains! Lean meats! Eggs! Fiber and protein are proven to keep you full and focused for hours on end, which is just what we need for finals week. It also fuels more energy into your body, which helps with focus and concentration. Feeling sleepy after loading up on empty carbs like chips and bagels? Swap chips for almonds and that bagel slathered with unnecessary schmear for a warm bowl of oatmeal. You’ll feel more energized, and you won’t be hungry an hour later.

Tip 2: Order delivery the RIGHT way.

Its 1am, you’re still not done with that paper that’s due at 7:45, and you’re fading fast. Your first thought, “I’ll just call Hungry Howies, they deliver”. NO, NO, NO! You’re forgetting that Pita Pit and Jimmy Johns both conveniently deliver past 1am. Opt for a juicy chicken caesar wrap from Pita Pit or a turkey sub topped with veggies from Jimmy Johns. Pita Pit is open until 3am everyday, and Jimmy’s is open until 4am Thursday through Saturday. Order up!

Tip 3: Invest in the Quest.

You might think that any old protein bar is a healthy “grab and go” snack. The most common granola bars seen on campus include Nutri-Grain bars, Chewy bars, and Kashi bars. Healthy options? Wrong. These “nutritious” bars are packed with high fructose corn syrup, white flour, and tend to be calorie dense. You might as well be eating a donut from Dunkin. However, protein bars can be extremely healthy when you know which ones to buy. We highly recommend the gym-rats ultimate favorite, the Quest bar. Quest bars have 20 grams of protein, 1 gram of sugar, and 17 grams of fiber. Need we say more? Compare that to the Nutri-Grain strawberry granola bar with 2 grams of protein, 11 grams of sugar, and 3 grams of fiber. Some Quest bar flavors include White Chocolate Raspberry, Apple Pie, Peanut Butter Supreme, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, and Strawberry Cheesecake just to name a few. Convinced yet?  Stock up on Quest bars at any GNC store, or order them online here.

Now no more excuses! Eating healthy during finals week is possible and will actually help you with all of that studying. So fuel your brain with these easy swaps and see better results in both your grades and in the gym. Happy studies!     

Junior Fashion Merchandising student at Kent State University. Lover of Pilates, Sex and the City, Decorating, Entertaining, Marie Claire, Thai food, the Olsen twins, Christmas, and Traveling.