The top 5 parks in London for beautiful winter walks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Now that we’re all in some form of lockdown and numerous places are closed, going on a walk is the ideal pass-time to unwind, get some exercise and breathe in some fresh crisp air. And what better place is there than a park for a beautiful winter walk?

Here is my selection of the top 5 parks in London:

1- Hyde Park

An absolute classic! Located in West London, more specifically between Notting Hill and South Kensington, it’s one of the largest parks in London. With its large open spaces and ponds and other attractions such as The Albert Memorial or the Peter Pan Statue, Hyde Park is the ideal place to exercise or go for a picnic! Especially around the autumn and Christmas time, with all the colourful leaves on the ground and countless squirrels, it is absolutely beautiful (and very Instagrammable)!

How to get there by Tube:

Circle & District Line: South Kensington

Piccadilly Line: Knightsbridge or Hyde Park Corner

Central Line: Lancaster Place or Queensway

2- Regent’s Park

Regent’s Park, in a way, feels like Hyde Park’s slightly underrated brother. Slightly smaller and less populated than the latter, it is situated in North London, footsteps away from the Camden Town Tube station. Regent’s Park, in my opinion, has it all: open spaces, large alleys, cute little cafes to get a bite to nibble if you’re feeling peckish, beautiful surroundings and the most famous hill in London called Primrose Hill where many people come to chill and enjoy the breath-taking view over the city.

How to get there by Tube:

Northern Line: Camden Town or Mornington Crescent

Bakerloo Line: Regent’s Park

3- Victoria Park

This one is definitely less well-known than the last two, but definitely worth walking through! Victoria Park is located in North-East London, in the Borough of Tower Hamlets. What I think people like about this park is its simplicity; it is ideal for a casual picnic with friends on the grass of the various open spaces or just for a stroll. Definitely worth a visit!

How to get there by Overground:

Overground: Cambridge Heath

4- Holland Park

A park that was underrated for a really long time, but is slowly but surely gaining in popularity. Particularly, the Kyoto Garden inside it is absolutely stunning. What I think is special about this park is that it feels more like a forest or a zoo than like a park; it is quite uneven and bits of wildlife are dotted all around it. However, I don’t recommend wearing your best shoes when going though because the ground tends to be quite muddy and slippery.

Also, the surrounding area of this park is incredibly beautiful (and also very Insta-worthy): Holland Park is very close to the iconic Notting Hill and Kensington!

How to get there by Tube:

Central Line: Holland Park

5- Battersea Park

A park on the other side of the Thames for a change! Battersea Park is in West London, opposite Chelsea and Fulham. Slightly less crowded than Hyde Park and Regent’s Park, it has everything we look for in a park: leafy paths, ponds dotted around the park and, most importantly, cute dogs! Moreover, since it is right by the Thames, your walk home will also be very scenic.

How to get there by Overground:

Overground: Battersea Park

tree with orange and brown leaves
Photo by Lina Kivaka from Pexels

European Politics student, chocolate-lover and writing enthusiast
hahsghqs