Wellness > Mental Health

The Mental Health Disorder That You Have Probably Never Heard Of

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Affecting on average one in fifty people, Depersonalisation-derealisation disorder (also referred to as DDD) seems to be a mental health issue that is left in the darkness. The sufferer is also left in the darkness, but it’s a kind of dreamy and disguised darkness.

It feels like a fuse in your brain has been permanently knocked out of its socket. It’s like you can’t see anything enough, like you are not really here. It’s a perpetual state of tiredness. Think about when you have a slight pain somewhere in your body. You can forget about it and do other things, but it lingers in the background.

Your outlook on life changes, particularly when it comes to navigating your emotions. Depersonalisation is often caused by trauma or heightened levels of stress and can lead to other mental health issues such as anxiety and depression. It’s the brain’s way of numbing you from fear, or memories of your past experiences. These effects bleed into your other emotions too, as often your ‘highs’ will only be able to reach so high.

I’ve found describing DDD easier when put against the backdrop of the pandemic, where everyone has seen many aspects of ‘everyday life’ being reduced. Like the restrictions we now have in society, depersonalisation is alike in many ways – you can still do many of the things you did before but just at a lower level (like seeing groups of friends has turned into online calls). You have to learn to adapt to these changes, but you find that life isn’t the same or as good as it ‘used to be’.

Despite the one in fifty sufferers, DDD is a very undeveloped area of psychology with not many successful recovery options available. Elaine Hunter is one of the leading researchers of depersonalisation-derealisation disorder in the UK, and her commitment to the study of DDD is honourable. Hunter was the lead consultant of the only UK NHS service for DDD until she left to set up The Depersonalisation Clinic. If you are interested, I would recommend looking up some of her research and reading articles she has written on the topic.

In terms of treatment options available for DDD, psychotherapy is the most common; particularly cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT), which focuses on changing your thinking patterns – something key when dealing with the everyday effects of the disorder. Antidepressants are commonly used too because DDD is linked to depression and anxiety, thus medication to treat these sometimes helps.

Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) is another treatment method. This is a not so cost-friendly option, averaging around £2625. This involves magnetic stimulation onto the brain that can relieve symptoms of depression and anxiety. Due to the cost, this is not a readily available service (also bear in mind that 30% of patients do not have any luck recovering even with this procedure).

Concerning ways of coping with DDD, these are a few things I have found that help:

1. Meditation, mindfulness, and positive affirmations: Start your day positively and build up encouraging brain patterns. Depersonalisation disorder consumes your consciousness and a lot of the time, the thought of dissociating makes you dissociate – it’s all psychological. Mindfulness is also a great thing for when you feel ‘spacey’. I highly recommend the ‘Calm’ app or ‘The Mindful Movement’ on YouTube.

2. Take a nap: Often with depersonalisation you feel so blocked off by everything around you and the effects of dissociation seem to take a hold of you. Naps become restorative as you awake feeling more grounded. Obviously, this isn’t possible on most days.

3. Look after yourself: I have found that symptoms are exacerbated when I am not keeping myself occupied. Keep your mind active and get involved with things that come your way – give your mind things to think about. Also, as simple as it sounds, stay hydrated, and eat well.

Callie is a second-year at King's College London studying English. She's a small-town girl (living in a lonely world) but a freshly converted city girl. Callie is an avid cinema go-er and a cat lover, who covers LGBTQ+ issues and popular culture.
hahsghqs