10 Simple Changes to Kickstart your Summer Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

1. Cut out processed sugars

Processed sugars are not only bad for you, but are empty calories! Cut these out of your diet and replace them with fruits and veggies.

2. Take the stairs

Choose the stairs instead of the elevator or ramp! Burn a few calories on your way to class.

3. No more soda

Soda has a ton of processed sugar and calories. Studies show cutting soda out of your diet completely can lead to weight loss of almost 10 pounds over time.

4. Cut out fast food

It may be delicious and convenient, but it’s loaded with saturated fats and calories. Make meals at home for a healthier alternative.

5. Reach for fruits instead of candy for your sugar fix

It’s a healthy alternative to the sweets you’re craving. Try freezing grapes or strawberries.

6. Netflix binge AT the gym

Bring your iPad to the gym with you! Burn 200 calories on the elliptical while catching up on your favorite shows. Did you know most of the equipment has a screen that lets you choose what TV station you want to watch?

7. Say goodbye to alcohol

It’s bad for your liver and loaded with calories.

8. Don’t eat after 7:30pm

Your body slows digestion after this time. Calories sit longer and lead to extra body fat.

9. Work out three days a week

Working out three days a week for as little as 30 minutes can make a noticeable difference. Instead of browsing Instagram in bed, hop on the elliptical (you can still browse Instagram while burning calories).

10. Get your friends involved!

It’s much easier and more enjoyable if you have a group of friends with the same goals as you. Make it a GNO to hit the gym or take a Zumba class.

Hi friends! Thank you so much for showing interest in my recent articles. I hope you love reading them as much as I love sharing them.
Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.