This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Life, especially as a college student, can feel constantly intense, rushed, and scary. Everything feels like it’s the end of the world. Every assignment feels like the validation we should earn to be in our major and our “To Do List” is never empty. This can often lead us to feeling we have no option to slow down even when we aren’t feeling our best. This leads us to neglect our body and mind. Mental and physical exhaustion in school is so real. At the end of the day, there is absolutely no margin for progression when you’re struggling to meet life where it is now. Meaning, if you have a physical injury or are struggling mentally or emotionally, the best possible thing you can do for yourself is to take the time to address the problem and work towards a solution. Ignoring your pain will only cause the pain to build up or further damage you.

This message came to me after I ignored a sports related injury and was feeling pressure to be “fine.” We had multiple games and there was no one to take my place if I was missing. I would also be letting down the other girls in my stunt, leaving them unable to perform. This pressure caused me to ignore my body and push through the pain. I kept my injury to myself and treated it the best I could with what I had. I ended up just prolonging the injury. Thankfully, this advice came to me soon enough where I was able to still make the game. Recovery can take a long time but identifying the problem and addressing it right away will be a whole lot quicker than ignoring it.

Here are some things I can do as a college student to better my physical and mental health:

• Meditate
  • Stretch/yoga
  • Sleep
  • Drink water
  • Create a peaceful environment via lights, oil diffuser, music
  • Talk to friends/advisor/counselor
Mari Adamson

Jefferson '24

Mari is a 4th year at Jefferson University, majoring in health sciences and enrolled in the Pre-Physician's Assistant Program with a minor in Law. In her spare time she enjoys hiking and finding new places to eat. She also has a passion for photography and self-care!