This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

The human brain is an incredible organ with a mind of its own (pun intended). Given we have the basic understanding of how each section of the brain functions and coexists with every other part of the human’s anatomy, there is actually very little mapping of the brain that can be researched. The brain is one of the biggest mysteries of the medical field and is also the most sensitive. One of the most misunderstood disorders of the brain is anxiety, more specifically Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 

Neurobiology

One thing you need to understand before we venture into the world of anxiety is the brain’s limbic system consisting of the hippocampus, which is associated with forming new memories and learning; the amygdala, which is associated with emotions, and processing fearful stimuli; the hypothalamus, which is associated with releasing regulating hormones; and the thalamus; which relays sensory and motor signals and regulation of consciousness and alertness. The decision-making area of the brain, the prefrontal cortex, determines the existence of a threat, which triggers a response of the amygdala, which in turn tells the hypothalamus to initiate the fight-or-flight response. This response is the body’s physiological response to high stressors. 

Generalized Anxiety Disorder

GAD is amongst the most commonly diagnosed mental illnesses in the United States, affecting nearly 6.8 MILLION adults as of 2019. This number has grown rapidly within the past decade. Sadly, if this disorder is not managed properly, it can become crippling and dangerous to a person. This disorder is characterized by persistent and excessive worry and many anticipate disaster about any given circumstance. This could involve money, family, health, work, etc. The exact cause is unknown, but several biological factors and life experiences have been said to be the main reasons. 

What Are The Symptoms?

This disorder has a plethora of symptoms that can affect an individual at any given time. In some cases, the general idea of getting through the day and completing basic tasks can trigger an anxiety attack. The main symptoms associated with anxiety attacks are general nervousness, trouble sleeping, excessive worry, the need for control, increased heart rate, overactive sweat glands, hyperventilation, shakiness, disassociation from reality, reduced blood flow causing pale or flushed skin, tense muscles, stomach pain, migraines, unwarranted aggression, and depression. Many suffer greatly from crowded social settings, public speaking, and uncertainty regarding the future. 

Can I Treat GAD?

Generalized Anxiety Disorder is a mental illness of the brain, therefore; it cannot be fully treated but can be managed. The most common management tool is supportive therapy and Cognitive Behavioral Treatment. Therapy can help the way you perceive yourself and improve your relationship with your symptoms. It also help you understand the nature of anxiety itself and expresses different ways of coping and fear decrease. Therapy doesn’t always work for every case, some may need to be managed with medications. Relaxation techniques, yoga, exercise, and meditation are other forms alternative medicine that have shown positive results. 

“Anxiety Is Not A Real Disease.”

There are so many elaborate misconceptions about this disorder that spark a fire in my veins. One of the most common ones I’ve heard is “People with anxiety are crazy and anxiety is not a real disorder.” FALSE. Anxiety disorders are a mental illness and admitting that you have a mental illness does not make you “crazy.” Mental illness is a bandwagon that you can jump on and off at any given time, it is a real disorder that millions suffer from every day. In other words, please gain some understanding and acknowledge that issues with a human’s chemistry is just as much of a disease as anything else. 

Any Tips For Anxiety?

There are TONS of things you can do to make anxiety less crippling. If you’re in a place where you feel so defeated by anxiety, take a step back. Listen to your favorite playlist or watch your favorite comfort show, anything that will help you relax and clear your head is a good start. Limiting your consumption of alcohol and caffeine can help limit the triggers to anxiety attacks. One of the things I found the hardest was accepting the fact that I cannot control everything, I can’t stop bad things from happening. Maintaining a positive attitude and making the effort to replace negative thoughts could also help. The biggest tip I could possibly offer is to please talk to someone. Don’t bottle up your worry and emotions in a pretty little bottle with a bow and shove it in the back of the cabinet. The smallest conversation with a friend, a family member, a significant other, maybe even a therapist can relieve an extensive amount of weight off your shoulders. 

Hopefully, you have a better understanding of GAD and may even be interested in researching it further. One last thing that you need to know is that those that suffer from this disorder can still live very healthy, happy lives. They can still function socially and alone, as well as have a healthy mindset on life. 

Tara is currently in school working towards her nursing degree to work in pediatric oncology. She enjoys music, spending time with her loved ones, and loves a good conspiracy theory. Remember you decide the story you tell the world, live freely and enjoy yourself.