stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

CrossFit: The New Phenomenon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

When most people workout, they usually participate in weight lifting, cardio, yoga, or specialty classes.  They try to run for 45 minutes, then lift for an hour, thinking they did enough and go home.  What if I told you that there is a new sensation out there that can give you a full body workout within twenty minutes?  This evolving fitness workout is known as CrossFit.  

Greg Glassman is CrossFit’s founder and CEO who developed this phenomenon over several decades.  Not only does CrossFit put together aspects from gymnastics, weight lifting, and cardio,“CrossFit is constantly varied functional movements performed at relatively high intensity” (crossfit.com).  The key is to challenge yourself with movements you never thought you could do.  One point is to work at as high of an intensity as you can in a short amount of time. 

Workouts are designed to make you push yourself to complete as many repetitions in the fastest time you can.  A great thing about CrossFit is that you will never get sick of working out because it is a different workout every day.  Also, you can never be too good at what you do; there is always room to improve and work to increase your weight or rounds.  You are always working towards a goal of achieving something higher.

Not only does CrossFit provide you with an excruciating workout, it provides you with a lifetime bond with amazing other individuals.  The other CrossFitters in your box support you and motivate you to do your best.  When you are one of the last ones working, people will never give up on you and will make sure you finish strong.  You always feel encouraged to do your best and feel as if you are part of a family.  Everyone you meet will welcome you in with open arms and help you with whatever it is.  This community is what makes CrossFit so successful and makes working out fun and tolerable. 

Football has the Super Bowl, hockey has the Stanley Cup; what does CrossFit have?  The CrossFit Games!  The CrossFit Games is a test to find the fittest person on Earth.  The cool part is that any individual who is involved in CrossFit has the opportunity to participate in the Games.  This competition is a journey within three stages; the Open, Regionals, and then the Games.  The Open is a five week competition that consists of five different, various workouts that is completed within your affiliate.  The workout is released online every Thursday and then contestants have until that Monday to do as best as they possibly can; their score is then submitted and viewed.  Once the Open has been completed, Regionals is next; the top athletes from each of the regions compete in a three day competition that lasts three weekends.  The top athletes from the regions participate for the qualifying spots for the Games.  The CrossFit Games is then the final competition of the chosen athletes left that compete for the title of the Fittest on Earth. 

CrossFit tests your strength and pride and makes you push yourself to limits you never knew existed.  It is an addiction that will make you fall in love with fitness and health.  You learn qualities about yourself and gain a new side that will never let you give up.  Joining CrossFit was the best decision of my life; everyone should go check it out and change their lives for the extreme better.

Hellooo! I am your average teenage girl besides all of the quirkiness and energy I carry along with me :) I am a freshman at IUP and is looking to change my major to business management and exercise science!