kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Must-Try Workouts This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Summer is just around the corner and that means more time to workout but not necessarily more motivation. What I have found to be extremely effective when not having the motivation to workout, is to commit to going to a class and inviting a friend or two so that you are held accountable for showing up! Working out doesn’t have to be a job or just another check to cross off your to-do list,  it can be fun and sometimes even the highlight of your day! Here are a few group workout classes I have participated in or plan on going to this summer.

1. CorePower Yoga’s Sculpt Class

This class is the perfect mix of yoga, cardio, and weight training. The room is hot and each teacher runs their class a little bit differently which keeps it interesting. You show up to the class with a yoga mat, water bottle, and a towel (you will definitely need this!) If you don’t own any of these things, you can rent tor buy them there! The first 15 minutes or so consists of yoga-like exercises such as cat/cow, stretching, and breathing. The next 45 minutes are a mix of cardio and weights and is guaranteed that you will leave dripping sweat. This is by far my favorite workout to do over the summer. CorePower has great deals when it comes to students and summer packages. And if your dad says yoga is easy, take him with you. 

2. Barry’s Bootcamp

I personally have never tried this workout before, but plan on it being one of the first things I do this summer. According to a frequent Barry’s Bootcamp goer, Kasey DeFilippo, it is a one hour workout that targets different muscle groups each day. Workouts consist of cardio on the treadmill and strength training on the floor with dumbbells and resistance bands. She says “it is the most intense and fun group class I’ve ever taken” so make sure to check it out this summer! 

3. Orange Theory 

This is also a one hour group workout that consists of intense treadmill intervals, work on the rower, and floor exercises with weights and different equipment. You book your spot ahead of time and choose where you want to start when you get there (either the rowers or the treadmill but you will end up doing both regardless.)  One cool thing about Orange Theory is that you rent a heart rate monitor that tracks your heart rate and displays it on the TV screen for you to see during your workout. There are 5 different zones that your heart rate can be in (red being the goal and meaning all out effort.) After the class, you can look at your results and see your heart rate and calories burned. 

4. SoulCyle 

SoulCycle is a spin class that targets your full body. I have never been to SoulCycle because to be honest I was a little bit intimidated to try it by myself. Everybody who I have talked to who goes to this spin class says it is so fun and not intimidating at all once you get started! According to, http://archive.spright.com/exercises/what-happens-at-soulcycle/, “You’ll do push-ups on your bike handles, all while bouncing in time to the music in a pulsing, dance-like set of motions. Each class contains a weights portion where you get a little arm strength in, doing bicep curls with hand weights as your feet continue to cycle.” SoulCycle bikes require special clip-in shoes that are available to rent at the studio! 

No matter what class you decide to attend, group workouts with friends are a fun way to sweat, stay fit, and spend time together! 

cover photo- Marissa Happ

Photos 3&4- Kasey DeFilippo 

The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.