Keeping Spirits High While Temperatures Drop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Daylight savings. It sneaks up on us every year, but still, the sun sets at 4:30 for months on end. The weather gets colder, the days get shorter and our moods drop quickly. We can feel sad, and lonely, and wish it were summer, but winter isn’t all bad. There are so many fun things you can do during these cool, dark months even when it doesn’t seem like it. 

Spend time with your friends

I know it’s tempting to stay in your room as the seasons change, but there are still plenty of ways to spend quality time with friends. You can have a winter movie night, go ice skating, grab a coffee or hot chocolate, drive around to see the holiday lights and so much more. Spending time with the people you love is so important for your well-being and there are so many wonderful options in the winter! 

Have a self-care night

Sometimes we all need a self-care night and winter is the perfect time for one. The cold weather definitely calls for a cozy blanket and a good book. You could also enjoy a face mask, cook a comfort meal, turn on your favorite holiday movie, light a candle or do whatever else it is that brings you joy. These nights can be so much fun and are a great way to keep your mood high with the temperatures low. 

Bake holiday treats

Baking is probably my favorite winter activity. It is such a good way to spend time with those you love by making family recipes or trying out new ones. Some of my best memories with my grandma have been baking with her for Christmas! I also love to bake by myself! It’s so much fun and can be so peaceful, especially on a super cold day. You can turn on some holiday music while you bake and have the perfect night. Baking with friends is a great option too! Whatever you choose to do, baking can be a fabulous way to get into the holiday spirit. 

Make sure to get fresh air

Going outside in the winter seems like such a chore. You have to get all bundled up and who wants to be out in the cold if they don’t have to be? That being said, fresh air is especially vital during these months. Make it a priority to get outside, even if you just go on a short walk or step outside for a few moments while it’s sunny. This can drastically improve your mood, increase energy levels and totally rejuvenate you. 

Although it’s still 50 degrees outside most days, the sun is setting earlier and we can definitely feel it getting chillier. The winter months are coming and can be rough, but they don’t have to be the worst part of the year. There are some fantastic activity options and ways to stay happy- enjoy it! 

Ava Hampe

Illinois '27

Hi! I'm Ava, a freshman at UIUC studying Communication and Psychology. I'm from Chicago and love going on walks, listening to music, grabbing coffee, and spending time with family & friends!