How To Start Your Morning Off The Right Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Sometimes it can be really hard to wake up in the morning, especially if you were cramming for an exam the night before or doing any other extracurricular activities that might have deprived you of sleep. Mornings are actually my favorite part of the day because I always feel rejuvenated and motivated for all of the tasks that I want to accomplish, and my morning routine makes me feel confident. Below I listed some tips that will help you start your day off with a bang and not hate mornings anymore!

1. Plan A Delicious And Healthy Breakfast The Night Before

I have always been a big breakfast person because I really believe that it gets my mind going and gives me a ton of energy for my classes throughout the day. Planning out what you want to have for breakfast the night before will get you excited to wake up, eat it and start your day off right. Lately, my favorite thing to have for breakfast is peanut butter and banana oatmeal because it’s delicious and keeps me full for hours. Other breakfast meals that are also nutritious include omelettes, smoothies and another one of my favorites, avocado toast!

2. Work Out

Working out in the morning is a great way to get your day started because it gets your blood flowing and you won’t have to worry about it later on in the afternoon. Whenever I have a midterm, I like to run/walk on the treadmill for 45 minutes because I feel like I perform better on tests, plus releasing endorphins makes me feel great! You could also cycle, do yoga, lift weights or even just stretch. Any physical activity that’ll make you feel your best throughout the day is perfect to do in the morning.

3. Drink Coffee

Most people know by now that coffee will help solve all of your morning problems and push you through the rigorous life of being a college student. Caffeine will give you an extra boost, and even if you don’t like the taste of coffee, there are caffeinated teas that will also do the trick! My favorite place on campus to get coffee in the morning is the Brewlab because they have an array of drink options, and the vibe there is unbeatable!

4. Meditate

Finding inner peace and quieting your brain can allow you to get in touch with yourself and discover what you want to achieve for the day. Being in college can impose a lot of stress on your mind and sometimes it’s essential to just let your mind relax and reflect.

Photo 1 | Photo 2 | Photo 3 | Photo 4

Rachel is a junior and the VP of Editorial for The University of Illinois' Her Campus chapter. She is a journalism major on a pre-law track.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.