body images 2020 01 25 health20and20wellness20working20out20jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2020 01 25 health20and20wellness20working20out20jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

How to Exude Confidence in the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Whether it is your first time stepping into a gym or your return after a long absence, doubt and anxiety can pull you back from feeling comfortable in the gym. It doesn’t have to be that way though! You belong in the gym too, despite any thoughts or anxieties that tell may you otherwise. Here are some ways you can exude confidence and comfortability in the gym. 

Woman doing yoga
Photo by Mathilde Langevin from Unsplash

Remember you are there to better yourself

It can be difficult to adjust to being at the gym if it’s your first time or if you are returning from a hiatus. Having thoughts that hold you back do a disservice to your personal betterment. Just know everybody that is in the gym is there to become better versions of themselves just as much as you are. Remind yourself that you are at the gym for YOU, not for a partner, not for a parent, not for anybody else, but for yourself. 

group of people in gym exercising
Geert Pieters/Unsplash

No one is paying attention to you!

The fear that people are judging you when you do a particular exercise or wear a certain piece of clothing is not true! Everyone is busy doing their own thing that they are not going to be focused on you. Once you learn and truly realize this, you will feel more comfortable doing exercises because you realize nobody really cares. Do your thing and own it!

Original Illustration Designed in Canva for Her Campus Media

Wear outfits that make you feel confident

Once you realize that A) you are at the gym and B) no one is judging you at the gym, you will slowly begin to feel more comfortable to wear outfits that make you feel comfortable and allow you to get an amazing workout in. Purchase outfits that you are always in awe of or have been eyeballing on that athletic wear site. You deserve to feel good when you go to the gym. Live by the mantra: look good, feel good, do better! 

Letterboard - "Be proud of how hard you are working"
Photo by Emma Matthews Digital Content Production from Unsplash

Make bomb playlists

Put your headphones and tune out the entire world. Seriously, it is so therapeutic and can help make a huge difference in your day. You are releasing a ton of endorphins already and listening to your favorite songs will honestly make you feel like you’re on top of the world while doing so much good for your body and your mind.

These are a few tips that hopefully help you feel more comfortable in the gym. Remember, you deserve to be there, you deserve to feel good, so go get those gains! 

Ashley is a Political Science major, Law and Power Concentration and Journalism Minor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. From Downtown Chicago, she enjoys traveling, lifting, reading and spending time with her loved ones. Her work ranges from fitness, to mental health, to politics and everything in between! Feel free to connect with her on Instagram and/or Linked-In.