Wellness > Health

7 Sitting Down Exercises That Don’t Require Leaving Your Chair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Have you ever had the urge to workout, but instead were stuck at home having to study? Worry no further! Here are some exercises that you can do all while sitting down, no exercise equipment or leaving your desk needed!

1. Clenches

Clench your buttocks and hold for 10 seconds. Repeat this 15-25 times to feel the burn, all while sitting down which allows for multitasking. 

2. Leg Raises

Sit in your chair and raise your straightened legs above the ground. Repeat until you feel it in your quads. This will be sure to give your thigh muscles a workout.

3. Arm Circles 

If you want something to do while watching a lecture, watching a tv show, listening to a podcast, or any other multitasking, arm circles are for you. Move your arms in circular motions backwards or forwards. Though it may not seem difficult, you will feel this one the next day!

Photo by RF._.studio from Pexels

4. Weight Lifting

Using any type of weight (textbook, regular book, an actual weight, water bottle, cans, etc.), sit up tall and hold the weight above your head, giving your biceps a little extra strength. The weights are optional for extra strength but this exercise can easily be done without weights or with any light household items. 

pink yoga mat with two pink weights and other exercise equipment
Photo by Elena Kloppenburg from Unsplash

5. Overhead Side-to-Side Stretches

Extend both arms overhead and overlap your hands in a diving position matter. Take turns bending to the right and left for some major side stretch. This will help stretch out your obliques and give you the little readjustment necessary to keep your productivity up!

woman stretching in bed
Photo by Bruce Mars from Unsplash

6. Seated Squats

Place your hands at the edge of your chair and lower your bottom in front of your chair, lifting up and down. Your knees should be bending at a 90 degree angle. This can also be done by sitting in your chair with your legs on the floor and lifting yourself above your seat instead of in front of your chair.   

7. Knee Tucks

Sit at the front of your chair with your back against the backside of the chair, bending your knees and bringing them in and out of your chest. You’ll definitely feel this one in your abs and legs!

During these stressful times, it’s important that we stay healthy and keep our bodies strong. School work may get in the way of gym time so if you ever find yourself wanting to get in some exercise while on your laptop, give these workouts a try! 

Hi, I'm Natalia! I am a sophomore at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I am passionate about social justice and social issues and aspire to change the world for the better :). I am an avid animal lover and plan on double majoring in Psychology and Gender & Women’s Studies along with a minor in Sociology. Stay beautiful, ladies!