6 Quick & Easy Ways to Relieve Stress Every Evening

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Taking time out of your busy day for yourself may seem unnecessary and unimportant, but ignoring your stresses can accumulate and eventually take a toll on your physical and mental health. Finding time to treat yourself and calm your mind is important amidst your hectic college life. Here are six quick, simple ways you can relieve stress daily:

1. Aromatherapy 

Aromatherapy, though it has various effects on different people, can have a calming effect on your senses. Lighting candles, using essential oils, or burning incense while studying or doing homework kills two birds with one stone — you can relieve stress and be productive at the same time. There are also scents that accommodate your needs, such as stress relief and sleep.

2. Pampering 

Take care of yourself in simple ways daily. You can do a face mask, give yourself a mani-pedi, treat your split ends with a hair mask or take a bath using your favorite bath bomb. Pick one thing to do every day and by the end of the week, you will be feeling and looking good.

3. Childhood Activities 

Bring yourself back to your childhood by doing fun activities such as coloring — you can purchase an adult coloring book — and making friendship bracelets with colorful string. Put aside your homework and studying, both physically and mentally, for a little chunk of time. Activities that don’t require too much thinking can relax your brain. 

4. Exercise

Whether it’s stretching in your room, playing a quick round of a sport you enjoy, or working out at the gym, getting your body moving can help you release stress. Sign up for a class at the ARC if you need more motivation. Walking to class rather than taking the bus can be an alternative if you aren’t much of an active person. Sometimes it’s relaxing to walk while listening to your favorite songs.

5. People-watching

If you like being outdoors, do your homework at the tables outside the Undergraduate Library or on the Quad. Listen to music or bring your homework to keep you busy if you get tired of people-watching. If you aren’t too fond of the outdoors, go to a library or the Union where there are plenty of people. 

6. Sleep earlier

Getting more sleep, even if it’s only 30 minutes, can help you wake up feeling fresh and in a good mood for the rest of the day. If you usually have trouble falling asleep, try different remedies like not getting on your phone before you sleep or practicing quick breathing exercises. This is an easy way to reduce stress that will go a long way.

Taking small steps to reduce the amount of stress you get is an important part of college life. Juggling social life, academics and extracurricular activities can be difficult, so always be conscious of your mental health.

Photo 1 | Photo 2 | Photo 3

Julie Kang

Illinois '20

Julie Kang is a Journalism major at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. In her free time, Julie enjoys ice skating, shopping, talking and eating with friends and reading. Follow her on Instagram at @julieebaaby
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.