This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

As college students, we all dread the horrible F Word at the end of the year… finals. I have compiled a list of tips to prepare yourself for finals week and ways you can manage stress.

Organization

The first major thing when it comes to finals is to stay organized! Personally, physically writing down every little thing I have going on into my planner helps me stay on top of everything. Towards the end of the year, I know I have a ton going on with clubs and other involvements outside of finals. Writing out classes, assignments, meetings, and crossing them off once completed helps me keep track of everything that I have going on.

Change of Scene

While studying for finals, changing your study location can help reset your mind and focus. If you live with roommates, it can be distracting especially with online classes, so packing up and heading to the library, a park, a coffee shop, etc., can help you learn in a different and stimulating environment.

Nourish Your Body

When preparing for finals, making sure you are taking care of your body is so important. Getting a good night’s sleep, eating healthy and nourishing meals, and drinking lots of water are a few vital ways to make sure you are taking care of your body in order to take care of your mind. I promise cramming those extra hours at night aren’t going to be helpful if your body primarily needs sleep!

Eliminate Distractions

Personally, I know that I am a major procrastinator when it comes to my school work. I often want to take breaks and end up getting on social media for way too long. I start off saying 5 minute break and it turns into an hour break. Putting your phone on vibrate, in a different room, or on do not disturb mode can be helpful in eliminating any distractions that make you want to take a break from your work when you need to be doing work.

Take Time for Yourself

Sometimes when you are studying and pushing yourself really hard, your body and mind need a break. Setting aside some time for yourself is just as important as getting your work done. A few different ways you can keep yourself happy and healthy while also taking that much needed break is going to workout, read, do a facemask, or spend some time outdoors.

Remember the Big Picture

You are only human! Give yourself some credit for all the hard work you have already completed throughout the year. You have come so far and your exam or your final project is just that: an exam or final project. Remember to look at the big picture and don’t get so caught up on the stressful thing happening in your life. Look at your long time goals and count your blessings. I promise, you’ll get through this!

Good luck to everyone approaching the end of the year or heading into finals week. Keep these tips in mind and remember: you got this!

Millie Dean

Illinois State '23

HI! My name is Millie and I love writing for Her Campus! I'm a senior at Illinois State University studying Public Relations and minoring in Graphic Design. My other interests include art, embroidery, thrifting, and photography. I love to be able to be creative in my interests and in my articles on Her Campus. Follow me on Instagram! @milliedean5
Contributor account for Illinois State