This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

As we enter the spring semester of school, you may begin to feel a bit overwhelmed. Here are a few ways to disconnect from the overwhelming bright screens that come with Zoom.

Take a walk with no devices

Yes, I know it may be chilly or even freezing in your area, but try your best to take a walk and get some fresh air- even if it is only for a few minutes.

Color, paint, or draw

Unlock your creative juices and give yourself an immediate distresser by painting or drawing. 

Here are a few links to downloadable black-owned coloring sheets:

Entrepreneurs Color Too

80’s Ladies: Coloring Book for Adults Stress Relieving Fashion & Trends from the 80’s and 90’s

Kinks, Perms & Afros: A Coloring Book Celebrating Black Women’s Hair, Black Hair, Black Girls Rock, Coloring Book, Black Art, Gifts for her

Journal

Journaling is a great way to tap into selfcare and offer a needed release, check out this article for five ways to use a journal that don’t include a “dear diary”.

Cook a new dish

Cook something (with a cookbook or from memory) and eat it without devices on or nearby

Read an actual book

Here are some book releases by black women authors you may have missed, while 2020 was 2020-ing

The City We Became by N.K. Jemison

So We Can Glow by Leesa Cross-Smith

Grown by Tiffany B. Jackson

Lay down and do nothing

Girl, just unwind. Literally do nothing whether this is reflecting while music plays in the background or going full out mediation mode. Just relax.

Corinne Dorsey is a freshman journalism major at Howard University. Corinne is currently a freelance writer for theGrio and a contributing writer for The Hilltop, Her Campus, and Teen Graffiti Magazine. Corinne is also a radio show host for “Hard to Swallow” on WHBC 96.3. In Corinne’s free-time she enjoys spending time with friends, trying new foods, reading the latest magazine issues, exploring the city, and improving her photography skills. Post Graduation, Corinne plans to work in the media as a multimedia journalist for a magazine or TV network. Digital Portfolio: https://corinnedorsey.journoportfolio.com/
Jamiya Kirkland is a senior Biology major, Sociology and Afro-American studies minor from PG County, MD