Wellness > Health

Why You Should Follow the LOWFOD MAP Diet if You Have IBS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

So you have IBS, and you think you eat pretty healthy. You may eat lots of vegetables
and fruits. You may have a balanced diet. But still, you’re experiencing discomfort after every
meal…? Odds are, you’re probably eating tasty and healthy foods that regardless of their
benefits, don’t agree with your stomach.

Following a strict LOWFOD MAP diet could change your mood, body, and lifestyle.
This path will lead you to more energy, less bloat, and leaving you feeling really about yourself.
As someone who struggles with food due to extreme sensitivities, I personally recommend
starting this diet by downloading the app LOWFOD MAP, (It is a white app with a blue design
on the cover). LOWFOD MAP categorizes every food into categories and sections, and within
those will tell you if it is safe or not to consume. Keep in mind, that this app is a loose guide, as it
doesn’t have every single food in the world to answer the question of whether you should eat it
or not. LOWFOD MAP debunks some stereotypes that commonly cause IBS in those that dont
realize. One prime example is fruits such as apples and peaches, as they are tasty, but those big
seeds are a hint that they do not agree with IBS consumers. These foods ferment in your
intestines, which causes bloating, constipation, and overall discomfort.

In addition to these, I personally recommend frequently avoiding broccoli, cauliflower,
watermelon, apples, avocados, pork, asparagus, mushrooms, peas, plums, dates, mangoes, and
dairy products. I know this advice may seem daunting, as a diet like this can be hard to maintain
at Holy Cross’ lack of food variety. While I struggle to find suitable foods, I stick so closely to
the list that I have managed to make it work. It can be overwhelming at first, but I promise you
will feel much better after you get the hang of this diet.

Please note that it is important to keep a healthy and balanced diet. LOWFOD Map is for
those with serious sensitivities or Irritable Bowel Syndrome. We want our Holy Cross ladies to
be happy, healthy, and smiling with a satisfied, full belly to keep our brains and bodies working

Summer Scott

Holy Cross '24

singer/songwriter/creative writer