Finally Time Off, But Wait…What Do I Do With Myself?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

It’s no lie that by this time of the year, burnout has hit everyone…hard. Fall break feels like an eternity ago and Thanksgiving break just wasn’t quite long enough. Less than two weeks until we are home, in the comfort of our own beds, surrounded by family and our friends from home, not wearing any shower shoes and making food for ourselves. Right now, that sounds like heaven, and I could not think of a better reset after this grind of a semester. However, the more I think about it, the more I contemplate; what the heck am I going to do with myself for over a month?!?!

1. Clean Out Your Closet

Maybe you already did this over Thanksgiving break (possibly even in preparation for our thrift store ;)) but if you didn’t, this is the perfect time to go through all those clothes that weren’t even worth bringing to college with you and donating them, selling them on poshmark or…

1. Upcycle Your Clothes!

This builds off the last point, but if you are the artsy, creative type, maybe take those older clothes (or whatever else you find lurking in your closet) and make them into something new!! Social media is crawling with simple videos on how to revamp your old basic pieces into something more trendy, and now you have the time to try them out!

1. Read Some Books

I know we all have a list of books that we have been dying to read but just can never find the time to start them, or if we do, we don’t have the time to finish them. If you need some recommendations for books to read head to one of my previous articles: https://www.hercampus.com/school/holy-cross/hot-spicy-reads-for-you-to-check-out/

1. Ski Trips

If you’re into skiing, there is no shortage of time to take day trips or even weekend trips with friends and family to nearby mountains, get some exercise, and enjoy the outdoors. Even if you don’t know how to ski, you could totally look into taking lessons!!

1. Try New Recipes

I know, quarantine PTSD, but offer to make dinner for the family one night, bake a batch of cookies for the neighbors, or just keep the batch for yourself! Delicious and satisfying meal videos like Emily Mariko’s are trending hardcore right now. Let’s be honest, we are all sick of Kimball food, so why not treat yourself to some new flavors and even discover a new favorite meal while you can. 

1. Get a Holiday Job

You are definitely turning your nose up as you read this one because who wants to work during their break, BUT hear me out. There are tons of places that would hire you just for a couple of weeks while you’re home during the holiday season, whether it is to wrap or help with the high rush of last minute shoppers. And hey, we could all use the spending money when we come back next semester. 

1. Try That New (or reopened) Restaurant in Town 

This may not apply to everyone, but I know at least for my town, tons of restaurants have reopened since the pandemic and new ones are continuing to open. I will definitely be texting my friends to grab dinners and going to lunch with my mom and sister, maybe even on my mom’s dime ;)

1. Take a Trip To NYC

Again, this one doesn’t apply to everyone based on where you live, but if you live in New England you could easily take a day trip (or stay overnight) in the city and see the tree, the window displays at the department stores, do some holiday shopping, and if you are seriously brave, watch the ball drop. Most major cities are decked out for the holidays, and it might be refreshing to take a day trip to have a change of scenery and get in the spirit! 

Fiona Willette

Holy Cross '24

Fiona is a senior at Holy Cross studying physics and business. She is originally from Stamford, CT, but has loved spending her college years in Worcester. She is passionate about friends and family, cooking, being involved with campus and community activities as well as crossfit and working out. Her and fellow chapter member, Charlotte Keane, are so excited to be the Campus Correspondents this year!