This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

The end of Daylight Savings Time means we set the clocks back an hour so the sun both rises and sets an hour earlier. I do love waking up in the morning to the sun shining in through my windows, but I dread it being completely dark out by 5:30 every night. With the colder weather and the shorter daylight hours we all experience the “winter blues.” You may feel tired, sluggish and have a lack of energy or motivation. If you are anything like me all you want to do is put on a pair of sweatpants, eat your favorite comfort food, sit in bed, watch Netflix and go to bed super early. Luckily, there are some super simple ways to tackle these feelings and not let the limited sunlight get to you!

Take Advantage of the Sunlight and Fresh Air

While the sun is out during the day — go outside! Go for a walk with some friends, family or even by yourself and listen to your favorite music or a podcast. Sit outside and read a book or do your schoolwork. I know the weather is getting cold, so if you can’t get outside for some fresh air then sit by a window for some sunlight!

Exercise

Try changing your routine and exercise in the morning when the sun is shining, rather than waiting until after your classes and schoolwork when it’s darker outside. Exercise boosts your mood and reduces stress and anxiety. Whether it’s doing something outside or doing a yoga class, a HIIT workout or some cardio inside — it all helps!

Keep Eating Healthy

Fresh fruits and vegetables may be hard to find in the winter months, so try some warm soups or other dishes with vegetables incorporated and eat fruits like bananas and apples that are good all year round! Eating healthy gives you increased energy and improves sleeping patterns, so definitely prioritize healthy eating during these sluggish times.

Take Up a New Hobby

I know we heard this advice one too many times during the heat of quarantine, but now with what feels like so much more time at night, find something fun and interesting to fill up that time! Cook your favorite meals, play board games and card games with your family, start a new book, do some art projects, or start a new Netflix series!!

Be Comfortable

Sometimes you have to just give into these “winter blues” rather than fight them! Put on those Christmas pajama pants and a baggy sweatshirt, enjoy a warm cup of tea under a cozy blanket, and put on a movie! These feelings are totally normal and with everything going on in the world right now, we all need a little self-care more often ;)

Fiona Willette

Holy Cross '24

Hi I’m Fiona Willette and I am a freshman at Holy Cross! I am from Stamford, Connecticut. In my free time I like to run, lift weights, water and snow ski and swim!