What to do in Your Free Time at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

If you’re a freshman in college like me, you have most likely quickly discovered that you spend more time outside of the classroom than inside of the classroom. This newly acquired time can be utilized or easily wasted depending on how you chose to spend your time. I enjoy using my time productively as that is the type of person I am. But, I also know when to relax and do things that make me happy. Here are some things that I do in my free time each semester. I hope that I have inspired you to prioritize what is really important to develop a new habit!

Homework and Studying

A post shared by Hofstra University (@hofstrau) on

I chose to spend most of my time in the university library completing homework, working on assignments, etc. It is important to me that I do not leave work until the last minute, but begin as soon as it is assigned so I am not cramming for a test or trying to complete two weeks of work in one night. The library is a perfect place to do work, if you are a person that likes working in silence and without distractions. In most schools, the higher the floor of the library you chose to work, the quieter it becomes. I usually sit on the upper floors because I am someone who needs quiet. Even though the library is usually a quiet place, it is also a good place to meet friends and people who share similar study habits and schedules. I have met other freshmen and upperclassmen who tend to stay in the library, so we oftentimes make plans to eat meals together or socialize when we’re not in the library. If you’re paying tuition to attend college, you might as well put your best effort into all your assignments. I believe that if your goal is to pursue an education, devote a majority of your time to your studies.

Workout

Academic excellence and working out go hand in hand. If I am not in the library, you can usually find me at the gym. I make it a priority to workout at least 3 times a week. I feel that it is not only important to exercise for your physical well-being, but also for your mental well-being. The gym is a great place to exercise because there is often a variety of cardiovascular and strength training machines that are there for students to use. Some schools even offer group exercise classes and/or have basketball and other sport courts and areas to exercise with your peers. Working out provides a substantial flow of oxygen to your brain and helps you to think more clearly. I notice a substantial difference in my energy level on days that I workout. If you don’t exercise regularly, you should give it a try for optimum energy.

Eat

A post shared by Anna (@anna.trying.to.be.healthy) on

Most college campuses tend to be diverse with the food options available to their students. I always enjoy sitting down with some friends for a nice meal before I start my day or even in the middle of the day for a quick break. It’s important to provide your body with essential nutrients so you are energized and can perform your best. Some of my favorite places to eat on Hofstra’s campus are the Student Center Cafe and Au Bon Pain. It is nice to have different options because if one location is particularly crowded, there is always somewhere else to enjoy a meal.

Relax

A post shared by Kinga | stilrein (@stilrein) on

Most people do not think that they can relax in college. But, I think that it is necessary in order to live a balanced life. Although I do spend most of my time in the library or in my dorm room studying and doing homework, I know when it is time to put the books down and spend time with my friends or family. This connects with what I previously mentioned about doing my work as soon as it is assigned. I enjoy relaxing without having the extra burden or anxiety that I haven’t completed an assignment. Doing your work ahead of time or as soon as it is assigned allows you to leave room to do extra activities or do things that may only happen once in your lifetime. Attending college near the New York City, I am in there frequently attending shows or hanging out with friends.

Learning to manage your free time in college is a skill that takes time and practice, but once you do you’ll be pleased when you learn how to use it wisely. 

Cover Image   

Hi I am Jenna! I am a freshman at Hofstra university. I am a hair-dye enthusiast and lover of all things pop culture. I interview celebrities for my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/celebrityhautespot