This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

As Valentine’s Day approaches, love fills the air; however, many people feel suffocated by it. From a bouquet of roses to a heart-shaped box of chocolate, this holiday has been known as a day for “love birds” for centuries. Because of its historical meaning, many singles have become fed up and celebrate their own Anti-Valentine’s Day.

This week-long opposition holiday starts with getting over your ex and ends with a rewarding break-up. Additionally, the week sprinkles in a day to flirt and a day to spoil yourself. Everything involved in Anti-Valentine’s Day defines self-care, so we should expand Valentine’s Day towards loving yourself and others rather than adding a negative connotation to the innocent holiday. In doing so, this dreadful holiday for singles can become a holiday of inclusivity, love, and joy. 

Valentine’s Day should be celebrated and serve as a time to reflect on your relationship with yourself and others. Although throughout history, we have centralized this holiday around romantic love, we should rewrite the narrative in a positive light. 

In other words, love is limitless, and it is important to be more open-minded in how we spend the holiday. It is hurtful to put others down simply because they do not currently have romantic love. Although some may lack romantic love, platonic love from friends and family and self-love are abundant and should be appreciated.

We get so caught up with pleasing others that we often forget to love ourselves. Until you learn to love yourself, you will never be able to fully love someone else. Let Valentine’s Day serve as a reminder that self-love is the best love. Self-love is so powerful in that it also influences the people around you by strengthening relationships. 

“Your mind will flourish from the love you feed it.”

Firstly, it is crucial to take the time to be present. Sit down with your thoughts and emotions. Use Valentine’s Day as a day of self-reflection on both physical and mental wellness. Journaling is a valuable tool many use to express their thoughts, concerns, and feelings. This form of self-care greatly improves mindfulness and reduces stress.

Take yourself on a date on February 14th. Unwind at a spa, or have a delicious meal at your favorite restaurant. Buy that outfit you’ve been eyeing for months. It’s Valentine’s Day, and everyone deserves to treat themselves to a self-care day.

“Self-care doesn’t have to end on Valentine’s Day. Make it a day to set goals for yourself. Self-love should continue year round.”

Check-in with family and friends back home and strengthen those long-distance relationships if you are away at college. Hearing “Happy Valentine’s Day” and how much they mean to you is heartwarming. You never know what someone else is going through; such a gesture could go a long way.

A great way to show your appreciation for loved ones is getting them flowers either from a store or even delivered if you are far away. Include a handwritten note expressing your love and gratitude. Brownie points if you get them their favorite flower.

Speaking of brownies, another way to express self-care and love for others is to bake your heart out on this special day. Whether alone or with friends, the best way to spend Valentine’s Day is with a sweet treat. 

Do not feel guilty if romance is not up to par this Valentine’s Day. Love is all around you, so do not let it go unnoticed. Take the day to appreciate the beautiful connections around you and within you. 

Raina Rahman

Hofstra '24

Junior first-generation community health major with a passion for writing!
Anastasia is a freshman at Hofstra University studying Journalism. She's from Orange County, New York. Anastasia loves cars, fashion, and writing.