Profile: Elana Delafraz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Elana Delafraz, a senior at Hofstra University is getting ready to graduate with the Class of 2017 but not before she finishes out her dream internship with Paramount Pictures. As a Public Relations major with minors in Psychology and Marketing, Elana loves to network and share her passion that she has for the industry with her professors, friends, and family. When she’s not working hard at school, Elana enjoys hiking, playing tennis, swimming and attending concerts. To learn more about Elana’s big picture internship, keep reading! 

Can you explain your role as an intern for Paramount Pictures?

I work on the field marketing team for Paramount Pictures. One of my main tasks as an intern is to create college directives or promotional events for college campuses. For example, for Ghost in the Shell, I hosted a Women’s History Month night with a pre-professional communications fraternity at Hofstra. There, I was able to explain the role of an alpha-female, such as Scarlett Johansson’s role that she plays in Ghost in the Shell. Furthermore, I facilitate press junkets with talent and make sure actors and actresses remain on schedule as far as their interviews with journalists go. I also greet press and fans at pre-screenings and make sure the press members are accommodated with special seating.

What made you want to apply for an internship with Paramount?

Paramount is a huge name so I thought that it would be a great opportunity to work there and have it on my resume. I have always been interested in the entertainment industry because it is challenging yet glamorous. I previously accepted an internship role at a television show but wanted to expand my experience and see how it would be to intern for a large film making company. I also heard that Viacom internships are so much fun and well-structured.

What has been your favorite part of your internship thus far?

One of my favorite parts of being at Paramount so far was going to a screening of the newly released horror film, Rings. We had a social media influencer throw a screening party in which he hired a zombie-looking actress to pop out of nowhere and scare the eager audience members; it went really with the whole theme of the movie. As much as I love screening events like this one, it is also the little things that make my internship great – like my great relationship with my boss. Without her guidance and positive can-do attitude, I would not have learned as much as I have. I love working with my team.

Do you have any advice for Hofstra students looking to land their dream internship senior year?

It sounds cheesy, but you really need to dream big. If you want something you need to set goals and devote time to make your dream a reality. If you have an ideal company in mind that you really want to work for, I suggest finding someone that works at the company, either through LinkedIn or through a professor or personal connection. Setting up informational interviews is always great because it gives you time to sit down with that employee and get to know their role. Once you land that first interview, you are already half way there. Don’t be afraid to ask for what you want. Experience is everything!

Favorite Paramount Picture movie?

Wolf of Wall Street or Titanic. Don’t ask me to choose one (too hard).  

Hello beauties. My name is Katie and I am a Journalism major at Hofstra University. I love to express myself in a way that allows others to get to know a little bit more about me! Sharing my creativity and new ideas with the world is something that I hope to pursue each and every day. After all, what is life without expression, creation, and imagination? I love discussing beauty-related topics such as makeup, skin care, and hair, as well as showing you guys how to complete fun and easy DIY projects! So, if I'm not cuddled up with my dog, exploring the City, or munching on some chocolate macarons, you can definitely find me here, writing my heart away.